The Planted Tank Forum banner

60p set up options

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  TexasCichlid 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm saving up for an ADA 60p and am wondering if you guys can chime in and let me know if I'm going the right way so far.

Plans are iwagumi style with HC or hairgrass and:

Tank: ada 60p
Filter: Eheim 2217
Lighting: Hagen Glo 2x24" t5ho
CO2: GLA paintball co2 regulator with atomic diffuser
Substrate: Aquasoil amazonia

#2 ·
Looking good!

Though the 2217 may be way too powerful for the tank, my friend has a 2215 in his 60P, and at full blast, his tank(also a iwagumi) is like a 24/7 hurricane, fish are blown all over. He has to reduce the outflow. Unless you plan on upgrading to a bigger tank in the future (thus need a powerful filter like the 2217), may I suggest you get the 2215 instead. There is no point of a 2217 if you are going to limit the outflow 24/7.

#4 ·
2x24w is going to be too much light. Ask me how I know. Get the Finnex Ray II DD. Check out my tank journal as I did much of what you are considering. I have a 2028 on mine, full blast, and with a lot of media in it with inline components, including a reactor, my flow is good but not overboard. I have a video in my thread that you can see the flow rate.

#6 ·
I agree with TexasCichlid that the 2x24 is too much. That is what I have on mine and I have the light suspended way above the tank and I use one bulb for 8 hours and the other for only 4 during the photo period. If I were doing it all again, I would be looking for an LED like TexasCichlid suggested.

I do however disagree with the suggestion on going with a 2215 instead of the 2217. I opted for the 2215 instead of the 2217, and I really wish I could get some more flow. My tank is not Iwagumi so the flow patterns may be different, but I am using Lily Pipes and an inline CO2 diffuser. (I have to admit I am having issues with my 2215), but even when it works perfectly the flow is just right. If it were any stronger I could just turn it down a bit. I strongly advise going with the 2217 over 2215.

#10 ·
Well, I do have the 60P.
It's hooked to Eheim 2026 with no in-line components and the flow is just right for me.

Light wise, I'm back to the old discussion of "that will be too much light for you". What might be too much for you might be not enough for me.
Here is a thread with my experience with Finnex Ray 2 DD over 60P. I bought it mostly on the TexasCichlid's recommendations (whose oppinions I value a lot). In short, the DD model went back for the reasons stated in that thread.

I had a CoraLife 2x65w CFL over the 60P until one ballast burnt out 2 days ago. For me, that was about the right amount of light. I was considering replacing it with Hagen Glo 2x24w (I have their 36" on my 12Long) but not sure if I will like the looks of it over the 60P and a single cord is sort of a minus.

To each it's own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.