The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cleaning Green Seiryu Stone

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Evangeline 
#1 ·
Ive bought a new ADA 60-P off of ebay for £80 never used, still in packaging free with 9L of ADA Amazonian Soil and ADA Power Sand, I pad an extra £50 for 20kg of Seiryu Stone the guy was also selling, it arrived stinking and green, ive tried going at it with a toothbrush but my arms are killing me.

How would you guys go about cleaning it effectively. Also the soil and power sand arrived in the tank (got the bags to prove it is ADA stuff) and its all mixed together, how would you go about seperating it as it looks awful with the power sand everywhere.

Thanks Marni :)

#2 ·
Green and stinking from what?

Algae? Try soaking it in hydrogen peroxide. 3% concentration is fine, or if you have a stronger solution, dilute it. You could soak it in bleach. Not at the same time.

Is it the rock itself that is green? Like some sort of chemical reaction?

You can scrub rocks with something stiffer than a toothbrush. Perhaps a really stiff plastic brush?
If you want to try a wire brush then test somewhere that will be hidden. The wire might scratch the rock.

I do not think it is possible to separate those materials. A possibility: Buy new soil, but not very much. Put the mixed materials lower in the tank, and put just enough of the clean stuff on top to hide the blended materials.

#4 ·
Yea algae, it was a bit damp and a family member collected it from Crewe for me and brought it down a South Devon (England) in a hot car so it was stinking when I opened the bag lol.

I found a tile scrubbing brush and tried it, its worked :) soaked them in hot water while we watched a movie and scrubbed them after :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.