The Planted Tank Forum banner

Purigen bags

5K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  mikepetro 
#1 ·
If I buy the large bulk bottles of purigen what kind of bags can I use to hoold them in?

#4 ·
Hi fishkeeper01 and brooksie321,

I tried those cheap bags and had two problems; some of them don't have a weave small enough and the Purigen comes out and get all over my tank or they don't hold up to regeneration with bleach and spill Purigen all over my tank. Now I use 'The Bag' from Seachem and don't have any problems.

#8 ·
The PetSmart bags are just fine to hold in the Purigen if double-bagged. I've been using them for quite a while with no problems.

Another thing I've used are organza material gift bags (with a closing pull string)that you can pick up real cheap at gift stores, arts & craft stores, or dollar stores. They're used for giving wedding or birthday gifts, and come in several different sizes.
Organza is very fine mesh and tough, but it does begin to deteriorate after 20 or 30 re-charges in bleach. Just replace them every once on a while.

#9 ·
Here's what I don't understand- Seachem's "The Bag", empty, sells for $9.99. Then they also sell a 100 mL "The Bag" shipped full of Purigen for $8.38. I have the 250 mL container on hand but can't logically see myself paying more for an empty bag when I could pay less and get the bag AND Purigen, lol. Is the empty bag exceptionally bigger or what?

#12 ·
If you search Alibaba, they sell 100 micron nylon bags (perfect for Purigen) that are cheap and stand up to the bleaching. They marketed towards cheese makers and other kitchen uses. Cost me like $6 for 3 of them - shipped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.