The Planted Tank Forum banner

180g inwall build journal

16K views 58 replies 28 participants last post by  ikuzo 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, now that I've finally finished the paint & trim, here's the progress from the beginning. The tank is built into the middle of a large room, to divide the space between the master bedroom and home office. Note: don't build the stand until you have the tank. I was going to build a custom 7 foot tank, and built the stand first. Custom tank in the dimensions I wanted would have run almost 2grand more than I spent on the 6 footer.

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
Oops...been ignoring this again
@150EH, Thanks for that. Quite pleased with it visually. Viewable from 2 sides only. I did have it open from the back, but I didn't like how much light spilled out behind the tank, and since it was mostly plants and plumbing at the back, I closed it in with floor to ceiling black curtains behind it. The lights are mounted so that they lift out of the way for easier access to the tank. Next is cctv so that I can see what is happening from the front when I prune and 'scape.

@jart, the fish stocking is listed in my sig also. Funny thing about the plumbing, I just deleted most of those pics off the forum, lol. I'll see if I can find something to post again or email you. I have a 40gallon rubbermaid bin between the tank and the wall that I condition water in. I ran a single run of PVC pipe from the laundry sink in the next room to the tank. I have a T and valve off of it to fill the bin, and the same coming off to go to the outflow side of the FX5. Also a T and valve system coming from the bin to the inflow side of the FX5. Takes 3 or 4 minutes to drain 35 gallons or so using the filter pump to push it out to the laundry sink, and about the same to refill from the bin the same way. I open the bin fill valve to let the air in to empty the pipe, then fill the bin for next time. Confusing to read, simple to look at. Leave it with me, lol I will show you what I mean.
@zyn1: Thanks!
@NJAquaBarren: I really wish I hadn't deleted the rest of the pics from this build, lol. As with jart, I will see if I can re-post.
@DogFish: The drywall is all mold/mildew resistant, wood is all coated with marine varnish. I also have glass tops and a de-humidifier that rarely turns on.
I will look for more pics to update this thread with. Thanks all!

#44 ·
@DogFish: The drywall is all mold/mildew resistant, wood is all coated with marine varnish. I also have glass tops and a de-humidifier that rarely turns on.
I'm remodling myself and thought about your project. I found a drywall sealer called GARDEZ. It's made for guys like me that aren't patient enough to take wallpaper off the correct way. If one(me) pulls the outer paper off, this stuff seals the brown so it will take primer in one coat. So it's really water proofing the drywall, but offers the use of latex paint on top.

When I did the bathroom I found some mold resistant latex. I think that combination with really seal up an enclosure like yours well. Use that paint in White gloss and it will bounce some light around too.

Now, I do realize it might be too late at this point for you. More about conversation now. Anyway I think you have done a great job, Irealy like how it came out.

#34 ·
OK, here is a quick drawing of how I plumbed for water changes. The bin is actually beside the tank. If I were to do it again, I would have put it under the tank, unfortunately I seriously over built the stand, and didn't leave myself enough access to do it that way. Regardless, it is still out of the way, and \i am quite pleased with the simplicity and ease of water changes. The stock fluval intake was replaced by larger diameter pvc that I drilled the bottom 14 inches of. It is virtually clog proof. The outflow was replaced by the same pvc that I drilled strategically for a spraybvar that runs along the bottom, and placed the holes to direct flow through the pleco caves, so they don't get filled with plecopoop.

Attachments

#36 ·
I couldn't afford a big tank, lol. I used what I had at the time, which was a box full of old tombstones and ballasts that I pulled out of old shop lights that were on the way to the recycle bin. The lighting has since been replaced by 4 x 32w T8's, with much better reflectors. Also free. Aside from the tank ($600) the FX5 ($300 at the time), and some valves for the plumbing ($50), most of this build was done with material I salvaged or already had. I couldn't and can't afford the lighting I want on a 6 footer.

#37 ·
I couldn't afford a big tank, lol. The lighting has since been replaced by 4 x 32w T8's, with much better reflectors. Also free. Aside from the tank ($600) the FX5 ($300 at the time), and some valves for the plumbing ($50), most of this build was done with material I salvaged or already had. I couldn't and can't afford the lighting I want on a 6 footer.
Well to me a 6 footer is a big tank and $600 is a lot to spend at 1 time on an aquarium.

Are you certain that a T5NO light system wouldn't cost you less in the long run? Petblvd.com has some T5NO light system cheap by SolarMax. Then there is a thread by Hyzer on a T5HO light strip which cost $45 for 29G, which is 30in long

#38 ·
lol, I agree. It is a big tank to me too, and yes, 600 is a lot to spend at once. Doesn't mean I can afford to spend on any equipment I want. Point is, I had to do a lot of diy, and cut corners on equipment choice in order to get the tank I wanted, installed the way I wanted. I would rather have this for $1k than a smaller tank with better lighting for the same price.As money or opportunities permit, I will upgrade when I can. I have a lead on some 4 foot LED fixtures that are from commercial refrigeration displays that I can get for fairly cheap.
http://www.hussmann.com/Pages/LEDLighting.aspx
Just need to get the power supplies for them. And yeah, for sure a more efficient system would be less in the long run. So would buying a house for cash rather than a 25 yr mortgage, lol.
Edit: Found Hyzer's thread... http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/110534-inexpensive-hanging-t5ho.html

#39 ·
As money or opportunities permit, I will upgrade when I can. I have a lead on some 4 foot LED fixtures that are from commercial refrigeration displays that I can get for fairly cheap.
http://www.hussmann.com/Pages/LEDLighting.aspx
Ok, now I understand your progress. You had a desire for a big tank. I like to have all at once cheap as possible. Thus I rent and don't have a mortgage.

The temperature options are 3500K and 4100K thus probably don't have the right spectrums for lights. Since you can DIY a lot how about checking out Hoppy's thread on LED light system.

#40 ·
Part of the criteria for buying this house was the ability to be able to have a big inwall build. Started out with 15 gallons 9 years ago, and kept getting 2 foot-itis :)
Also, I can get 6500k leds from the same company. And Hoppy's thread has been bookmarked since he started it, lol, but I still haven't decided one way or the other. Heck, 3 months ago I thought I was going to be tearing it all down to sell our house, now we are staying put.

#43 ·
@Hoppy: Yeah, but not as smelly. Nincompoop is what my first tank was full of when I first got that plec. (15g 9 or 10 yrs ago)

#45 ·
Yeah, quite honestly I got a little impatient with this build. That combined with a time limit with which to get it done meant not finishing the back the way I should have.

#47 ·
I'm considering a complete re-scape of the tank at this point. I hate how the substrate always ends up flat after a few months. I'll address that issue, and change the stump around to see if I find something more pleasing to the eye. Gonna need a couple of uninterrupted days with no kids, lol.

#49 ·
What are you asking? You mean that thread from.... August??? The pics at the start of this thread are not indicative of the current plant load. Maybe post a link to that thread to refresh my failing memory.

#50 ·
#52 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.