The Planted Tank Forum banner

What hardscape should I roll with?

• Branch Wood with river stones

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Ryuoh Stones for an Iwagumi style tank

Votes: 23 31.5%

CryptKeeper54's Schuber Wright Mini 66 (pic heavy)

24K views 54 replies 19 participants last post by  CryptKeeper54 
#1 · (Edited)
My Schuber Wright Mini 66 has finally arrived. Packaging was good, everything arrived safe. Since I have been on a nano tank obsession as of late, I thought I would give this setup a try. It is a competitively priced nano aquarium "kit" which seems to be only growing in popularity.

I usually post in the Tank Journal sub-forum, but this nano tank is being built for all the planted nano tank lovers out there and I thought it to be more appropriate to post my thread here.

Out of the box. I love unwrapping presents to myself.

Backside view:

Lights (Two 13watt 6500K bulbs = 26 watt (Phillips brand bulbs included); the bulb is a standard gx23 base. The light splash guard is a thin sheet of plastic (unidentified type) that seems a little flimsy. I would have preferred glass but I'm sure there is a reason the company manufactured this light fixture this way. One thing to note is that this fixture gets hot to touch. I guess I have been spoiled by LED lighting as of late. I just hope it doesn't affect my water temps too much.

Close up.... the frame that holds the light fixture is non-tubular making it a little less rigid than I like my equipment to be. However, it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye. If you look closely, you can see this little metal stub (seems to be welded in place) that keeps the light fixture parallel to the tank.

I like the look of the setup as a whole. Very clean lines, simple and modern looking. I opted to purchase the Mini 66-1, which includes the Finnex PF-5 HOB filter. I wanted to maintain the footprint of this tank and accessories as small as possible. Finnex does offer an option for their canister PX-360 filter for an additional 20 bucks. Also, take note of the lighting plug as it is 3 pronged. Something to consider when you are purchasing a timer (most of my timers are for only 2 pronged plugs)

A few photos. (My tanks are taking up some major counter space and my wife is about to kill me...:icon_sad:)

Notice the beveled front pane. Very elegant in design and I actually like the look but it remains to be seen how it looks filled with water. I wonder if there will be distracting and/or distorted views. I know my curved corners of my Eheim Aquastyle plays tricks with my eyes sometimes.

Glass clarity comparison to my Fluval Edge 6 gal. Clearly less iron. Finnex website states that it is "6mm thick Super White Glass." You can also notice the nice, clean and minimal silicone seams compared to the Fluval Edge.

Might not be a great indicator but here is a light comparison to my Fluval Edge. This kit is nicely lighted IMO. You be the judge.

A few shots from behind. Notice the clean lines and neat wiring. I'm guessing the rear bottom houses a ballast of some sort (forgot to check if that gets hot to touch as well..... I hope not).

Here is a 12 inch ruler for reference sake. Light is approx. 2.5" - 3" above possible water level. Keep in mind that the light fixture is in this fixed height position. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Schuber Wright designed the light fixture and base to provide optimal lighting for a planted tank so the fixed height doesn't bother me at all. Also, keep in mind that the light fixture swings backwards to provide you more room to work on your aquascape.

And finally, I want to make this tank great but I'm going to need help from my fellow TPT members. I'm torn between two possible hardscapes:

1. Branch Wood with possible small river stones, versus:

2. Using Ryuoh stones (I bought about 40lbs of this stuff a few months ago from an LFS; I'm becoming a hoarder of hardscape materials)

Overall thoughts: This is a nice setup that is competitively priced to compete with the big boy names that are flooding the market with "nano tank kits." I'm still torn on the lighting as I have become fond of LED lights and it's capability to cast shadows; which I absolutely loved ever since owning a metal halide fixture 10 years ago.

P.S. I'll look this post over for errors and typos, etc. I did this while half asleep...

See less See more
#44 ·
Thanks. I got a pea puffer in there for now, and an oto. Very entertaining little guy and the oto is keeping my pebbles free of diatom algae. You can see him against the red filter in that 2nd to last pic posted. Not sure if I'm gonna change the fauna. Still debating.

the erios is the plant in the front right yeah?

what is the background plant with the needle like leaves? some type of ludiwiga?

I like the river rock look.
Yes...Eriocaulon kimberly. Didiplis diandra is what I was told. Mini pelia also on the branchwood in a few spots. Hoping they grow in nicely.

#45 ·
gotcha... those puffers are pretty cool :)

however I was thinking, given the stream/river look of the tank, a group CPD's would look pretty sweet (they remind me of river trout)

#47 ·
Sweet looking tank, and I'm digging the plant selection. I take it you have the patience of a saint? I don't think I could wait long enough to have decent cover by the erios and buces. I have a buce in my 2.5 and I've had success (relatively) growing it, unburied and while under 15 watts/gallon, it is growing underneath some overhangs which gives it low to medium lighting. Best of luck!

#49 ·
Thanks. I have no patience but when you have kids, time flies really quick, and next thing you know, your plants have grown in.

Great hardscape! River stones always look awesome. You Anubis petite is adorable!
Thanks. I love those anubias... they just look awesome in almost any planted nano tank.

#50 ·
So I entered this guys contest.......

He was just looking for a "clean" tank and promoting his channel I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M_pLh7uGQc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I like watching youtube vids of peoples tanks. Specially when it's in HD.

Been a while since I made a video. Way more difficult then I remember and it still looks like a 8th graders project....lol.

#51 ·
Been having algae problems. Switching over to RO water purchased from my local grocery store. Gonna do water changes once a week. I also removed a light bulb making it only 13w x 8 hours. Trying to get things under control. I think I may just dose K+ only. Haven't tested water parameters, I don't even have a kit. Therefore, I can't ask for suggestions on fertilizer regimens....lol. I just gotta cross my fingers and monitor closely. I'm hoping softer water will help my erio and buces. Wish me luck and Happy Holidays everyone.

Just changed the water and cleaned up a bit....

#55 ·
Tank was nice. Light system a bit cumbersome and hot. Very high light for my plants at the time resulting in some algae problems. Tank has been shut down for some time now. I consolidated all my nanos into my 12 gal long. All in all, not bad for the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.