The Planted Tank Forum banner

Brian's ADA 60P (Ver. 2.5) + Ecoxotic E-Series (Starts Pg 34)

143K views 576 replies 76 participants last post by  Brian_Cali77 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm finally getting my ADA 60P Build underway.... exciting!

I'm trying to keep the build (for now) nice but semi-budget friendly with the potential for upgrades in the future. Also with the 'budget friendly' angle in mind, I want to experiment in trying something a little different than the norm. I'm going a little new-school and old-school mixed in with a little taboo in the world of "ADA" yada yada yada... I'm going to put on a black background and use black equipment to be stealthy, and at the same time, allowing things to "pop" more in color -- allowing my lighting choice to really shine! Colorful with contrast is what I'm going for. But in the living room as the "main tank," this is a welcomed addition -- no doubt.

Perhaps, later I will upgrade to the full-on glassware and all -- as with everything, it's subject to change and things evolve. With that said, here we go!

Here are the particulars:

Tank+Stand:
  • ADA 60-P (17g = 24in X 12in X 14in)
  • Ikea Besta

Lighting:
  • Current-USA Satellite LED+ (x2)
  • Current Single Ramp Timer (coming soon)
  • RGB LED mood lighting strip (behind the tank)

Filtration:
  • Fluval C2 HOB
  • SunSun 301 w/ surface skimmer (more on this later) ;)
**Might upgrade to a Fluval 206 + Lily Pipes early next year (or earlier if I hate the HOB idea)**

Substrate:
  • Brian's "Special" Blend (more on this later) ;)
  • Sand (possibly Caribsea supernaturals 'white' sand)

Hardscape:
  • ADA-style DW (not sure what it is... I'll post pics)
  • Yamaya Stone
  • Seiryu Stone

Plants: (subject to change)
  • Collectoritis Style for now! TBD

Fauna:
  • TBD

CO2 / Ferts:
  • PPS-Pro "dry ferts" from GLA
  • Aquatek Paintball Setup
  • Glut (occasional)

Okay... got that out of the way! Here are some pics and some more text! :)

With the RGB mood lighting strips I removed from my 12g. Wasn't sure what else to do with them so I put them behind the tank for fun. Notice how my HOB's almost disappear with the black background? Well, at least for me it does!

So I have these Do!Aqua pipes on hand, and I was really tempting myself with a Fluval 206 purchase. But then I remembered I have a Fluval C2 being unused in my closet so I decided to save some money and go with the C2. I'll just keep the glassware on hoarding status for a later time. ;)

And the lighting! Current-USA Satellite LED+ fixtures (X2). I should be getting around 72+ PAR with these at the 12" distance from light to sub. Let's see what I can grow (hopefully not just algae):

On the tank:

-------------------------------------------------------
FTS: Updated 11/09/13

Version 2 Update: Due to unfortunate circumstances, the 1st scape pictured above had to come to a premature abrupt end. Version 2 'rescape' turned out like this.. latest picture before the tank 'tanked' (again). Version 2.5 in progress as of 6/25/14.

VIDEO!!!!

ADA 60P & Sat+ LEDs - UG Carpet Update: http://youtu.be/zJfC_x2Uckg

More to come... stay tuned!
:thanks:

See less See more
#52 ·
Thanks dude... yeah I'm glad the HOB works out with the black background. The fluval c2 and sunsun are both black so it's perfect. I still might use my lily pipes by next year if I want to change things up. Maybe in a rescape.

I can't wait till it fills in, too! I'm starting to see the tops of the L. Aromatica turn purple. Glad, because I was a little worried the Sat+ wasn't up to the task. The HC was pearling too. :)

#63 ·
GLA Tools Arrived Today!

So after "accidentally" discovering the blow out sale of GLA's high quality aquascaping tools, I couldn't resist the opportunity to treat myself to some NICE TOOLS! I must say, Orlando over at GLA is a great guy to talk to and the customer service he provided was second to none. :proud:

Anyway, these tools are phenomenal. I can't imagine how GLA can improve on these... but, according to Orlando, they are coming out with a whole new line that is going to improve on an already excellent product. Either way, they are the best aquascaping tools I've owned and I'm stoked I got them at an excellent price! Believe it or not, I'm actually looking forward to trimming up the overgrown HC in the 60F (just the tedious clean up sucks!)

Thanks GLA! :bounce:

#79 ·
I just went on the website to get some but they are out basically :(
GLA Tools Arrived Today!

So after "accidentally" discovering the blow out sale of GLA's high quality aquascaping tools, I couldn't resist the opportunity to treat myself to some NICE TOOLS! I must say, Orlando over at GLA is a great guy to talk to and the customer service he provided was second to none. :proud:

Anyway, these tools are phenomenal. I can't imagine how GLA can improve on these... but, according to Orlando, they are coming out with a whole new line that is going to improve on an already excellent product. Either way, they are the best aquascaping tools I've owned and I'm stoked I got them at an excellent price! Believe it or not, I'm actually looking forward to trimming up the overgrown HC in the 60F (just the tedious clean up sucks!)

Thanks GLA! :bounce:

#65 ·
Holy cow, that a nice set. Good choice going with high quality gear, my cheap asian tools are dull and breaking apart at the seams. The package said stainless steel but I kid you not, there rust on it.

What the middle right funky looking one for? Carpet trimming I'm guessing?

#66 ·
Not to high jack but there are different grades of stainless. Some will never rust, some will rust a bit, some will be bad. Usually with the cheap stuff, they don't use stainless screws and stuff. Not to be weird but I always ask for any SS stuff when I get stitches which happens every 1.5 years or so it seems. Best stuff I have had, going to go check out a medical supply place by my house.

But yeah, SS has different grades, I am not so up on it but all SS stuff I got from a welding friend never rusts, most the stuff I buy from the local hardware place does a bit, every time I buy off the shelf stuff (cosmetic scissors for eyebrows and similar), tends to rust.

#72 ·
PUT THE 60P BANNER BACK ON! Do not denied the people of this forum the work of art you did.

Kidding aside, how you like the new gear? My cheap scissors pulls up on the HC, which in turn uproots a few stems. I want something that will cut through a thick layer of carpet like butter.

#75 ·
New banner prototype released. ;)

Man.... these tools are freakin' cool. The nude scissors and the wave do just the trick. They're all pretty sharp... Orlando over at GLA told me the "new line" will be scary sharp and the metallurgy is astounding. Blows my mind, because I'm so impressed with the old line.

#73 ·
Tank is looking great, Brian! And I got my haul of of tools from GLA as well, very impressed.
I'm kinda PO'd that I'd ordered a couple Fluval tools just a week before the GLA prices dropped so much as I really prefer the GLA.

#77 ·
Well at least you got some.. but TBH, knowing how nice these are now, if I didn't have these tools, I'd probably buy 1 or 2 at full price (glad I didn't though). I mean, the ADA tools look to be about the same, but when you compare their prices to GLA, GLA at full price was a steal.

Look at ADA, it's mind boggling.

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=76_6_40

#80 ·
Current-USA Single Ramp Timer!

Look what I just got! :)

I think I'm going to have one Sat+ ramp Up 1 hour before the 2nd light turns on (that's on a basic timer), then ramp down 1 hour after the 2nd light turns off... Should be interesting! Once I stock this tank with fish, this should definitely minimize them getting spooked out with lights turning on/off abruptly.

It's not as cool as the Pro Timer but it was available now and cheaper!

#84 ·
So far so good... seems very solid. I researched it before I decide to get one for the 60p. There were others before me that used it so that made me feel comfortable enough to go for it.

Check out this other 60p build thread by talontsiawd... He gave a pretty good review on the Ikea Besta. Also starting at post #22, he shows that he even drilled holes in the sides of it for his hoses. If his tank + stand are holding strong with those holes, then I would say its fairly a safe bet that it would do fine. Just be cautious about not getting the stand wet... wipe off any water immediately as it will begin to warp the laminate.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436833&page=2

Although, I only drilled one hole in the bottom back for the electrical and co2 line.

#87 ·
I'm finally getting my ADA 60P Build underway.... exciting!

I'm trying to keep the build (for now) nice but semi-budget friendly with the potential for upgrades in the future. Also with the 'budget friendly' angle in mind, I want to experiment in trying something a little different than the norm. I'm going a little new-school and old-school mixed in with a little taboo in the world of "ADA" yada yada yada... I'm going to put on a black background and use black equipment to be stealthy, and at the same time, allowing things to "pop" more in color -- allowing my lighting choice to really shine! Colorful with contrast is what I'm going for. But in the living room as the "main tank," this is a welcomed addition -- no doubt.

Perhaps, later I will upgrade to the full-on glassware and all -- as with everything, it's subject to change and things evolve. With that said, here we go!

Here are the particulars:

Tank+Stand:
  • ADA 60-P (17g = 24in X 12in X 14in)
  • Ikea Besta

Lighting:
  • Current-USA Satellite LED+ (x2)
  • Current Single Ramp Timer (coming soon)
  • RGB LED mood lighting strip (behind the tank)

Filtration:
  • Fluval C2 HOB
  • SunSun 301 w/ surface skimmer (more on this later) ;)
**Might upgrade to a Fluval 206 + Lily Pipes early next year (or earlier if I hate the HOB idea)**

Substrate:
  • Brian's "Special" Blend (more on this later) ;)
  • Sand (possibly Caribsea supernaturals 'white' sand)

Hardscape:
  • ADA-style DW (not sure what it is... I'll post pics)
  • Yamaya Stone
  • Seiryu Stone

Plants: (subject to change)
  • Collectoritis Style for now! TBD

Fauna:
  • TBD

CO2 / Ferts:
  • PPS-Pro "dry ferts" from GLA
  • Aquatek Paintball Setup
  • Glut (occasional)
Okay... got that out of the way! Here are some pics and some more text! :)

With the RGB mood lighting strips I removed from my 12g. Wasn't sure what else to do with them so I put them behind the tank for fun. Notice how my HOB's almost disappear with the black background? Well, at least for me it does!

So I have these Do!Aqua pipes on hand, and I was really tempting myself with a Fluval 206 purchase. But then I remembered I have a Fluval C2 being unused in my closet so I decided to save some money and go with the C2. I'll just keep the glassware on hoarding status for a later time. ;)

And the lighting! Current-USA Satellite LED+ fixtures (X2). I should be getting around 72+ PAR with these at the 12" distance from light to sub. Let's see what I can grow (hopefully not just algae):

On the tank:

-------------------------------------------------------
FTS: Updated 9/30/13 (still waiting on UG to replace the HC in the foreground)

More to come... stay tuned!
:thanks:
HOW CAN YOU AFFORD ALL THESE NEW TOYS!?! haha god i love your setup. How do you like the surface skimmer?

#90 ·
I'll let you in on a secret, HC Cuba loves medium LED lights.

Shhhhhhh... :biggrin:

Haha... well I guess I'm lucky then because it so happens I have medium LED lights! LOL

I just got some UG in so I'm going to move the HC into a tighter section and figure out this UG. :red_mouth

On another note, got a very interestingly shaped Drop Checker from HK the other day! I saw it on eBay and just had to have it! It's beautiful, especially for the price! ;)

My tank is looking semi-crappy right now... I have stringy brown diatoms or rhizo on everything. It's nothing new, it's to be expected in a newly setup tank. Just playing the waiting game now.

#93 ·
I'm really sorry to hear that :( my diatoms are more dirt looking I have a little bit of the stringy kind. hang in there man, there is light at the end of the tunnel! I think diatoms feed off of light, phosphate, and silicates so I might buy some Purigen or a chemical filter media. I'm also doing water changes every 3 days and I'm on my 6th or 7th week

#95 ·
Yea I hate this stuff. It grows crazy fast. Too bad you couldnt shape it into something that looks nice. :p

Is there a reason why you're not using the purigen now? you can recharge it later right?

By the way very interesting looking drop checker. :thumbsup: Is it big? or about the normal size?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.