The Planted Tank Forum banner

120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style new pics 137

503K views 2K replies 327 participants last post by  jccaclimber 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I just did not like the general feel of the ADA like minimalist display prior, so I tore the entire thing down.

Here, I wanted to add lots of color, contrast, display the nice Manzy wood I have, make it a lot of stem plant and pruning type of tank(yes, work:icon_roll), but somewhat manageable still.

I have enough plants to fill it, but I'll remove some plants on the sides(Erios and Compact the Crypt parva down some, I have a few small divider pieces of Manzy wood I'll add this week to make a better dividing line for some of the groups.

I'll change the groups of plants around till I'm happy(often a long process), to achieve the best contrast based more on Dutch rules, rather than ADA aesthetics. Right now it's fairly simple red green red green layout, and less textured contrast. Most of these species are easy to sell also, so they are good "crop plants", 500 or more of the fire cherry shrimp makes it a good shrimp factory.

I have an ADA style tank and my 180 is somewhat loosely based on ADA style, A reef and a Rift cichlid tank. I want a nice style and method for each tank that is different, not all planted tanks with one style.

Tank is not that old after complete tear down, maybe 4 weeks or less.

See less See more
#68 ·
Low light= slower growth, not shaded by other plants, I only have 1.8 w/gal in the tank.

And those bulbs are 40" away from the sediment.

Maybe jamming way too much light is not the best best and rather, focusing on good care, good CO2, good water changes and rich ferts is a simpler way with less energy usage and risk of algae????

#79 ·
It's a nice weedy red plant. I thought it'd be a bit pickier..but it's quite easy to grow, even with low light.

I've seen it before in pictures, and folks would say that nutrients/light was the key to keeping red and implied that it was the SAME as L repens, which we all know it simply is NOT the case.

Sort of like some other varieties that look like the same plant, but are real red in color.

It was the varieties, not the nutrients/luight, or some "secret", they either did not realize the varietal difference or they conveniently left out that bit of information.

It's happened a number times now over the years.

#83 ·
Folks like to buy it.
I like to trim it, that's a fair deal.

I'll likely make some changes in the coming weeks and would like to allow the R wallichii to fully dominate as well in a nice thick street, I do not lack red colors here.......so I'll think what I might place in that spot instead.

#91 ·
Dwarf neons would look good.

If you'd like to try a school of 30-40 Oryzias woworae, I can hook you up. Same colors as praecox, but the parents can't eat juveniles, so you get recruits unless the school's too big for the tank.

All it takes is some nice manzy for my 90G... :hihi:

#98 ·
Err, could be Red myrio the M turbulatum or whatever........P stellatus, A reineckii that has not colored up entirely..........Green Rotala macrandra, the larger wide leaf bright green thing is something else, I do not recall, it had a nice large bright green leaf so I liked it and it's easy to grow/care for.

I trimmed today and sloped the Ludwigia sp "red" nicely and went to the bone in the front, removed some filler plants, added a spacer wood piece or two, thinned out stuff here and there. Hedge sod cut the UG a bit.

Spent most of the time playing with my Woodagumi 70 Gallon. Pics will be forthcoming in a month or so.
Trimmed the staro porto velho some also finally. Spread it out a little. It's not taking off as fast as most of the foreground plants. Even UG does a faster clip. This is good and bad, once it does grow in, it'll stay put.

The L pantanal is becoming a bit weedy. Getting it to scape well and be ordered and consistent is not the easiest thing. I may replace with something else or move it where I can tend it more.

#99 ·
I got to see this tank in person today when I dropped off the club PAR meter.

It's even nicer in person. The variety of colors in the tank is really neat. Reds, oranges, greens....very nice. I'm not usually a fan of dutch-ish tanks, but this one's quite impressive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.