The Planted Tank Forum banner

New Hardscape

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Dantrasy 
#1 ·
I have a new hardscape in the making.

The box is mini m sized. I always paint over pics to get ideas, but they never end up anything like the pic. Anyway, the pic shows sand, hc and dhg.

Any reason why this wouldn't work? I have a few doubts. Perhaps moss needs to tied/glued to some of the bigger rocks - cover some of them up.

Thanks for any feedback.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hmm...I think I like the first layout more. I'm a big fan of your ohko scape in the 1 foot cube. That is similar with many peaks and what-not. So if you like that, then go with the first one as it's similar. I think moss could be good along parts of the larger peaks

If you want something different, the iwagumi would be good. I think if you're going for a true sanzon iwagumi (with the three stones only), you'll want the secondary stone canted towards the primary stone, not pointing away from it. Maybe rotate it counter-clockwise about 45 degrees so it points up and towards the main stone. Another option would be to flip it 180 degrees and move it just a hair to the right so it points up and left towards the main stone. The tertiary stone seems fine where it is.

BTW, what kind of stone is that? I really like it.

#7 ·
I'm lighting it with a ada led, it's pretty white/blue.

Last hardscape pic. this one follows the iwagumi 'rules' a bit more. As suggested above I spun the medium rock around.

Looking at the pic I think I'd make the small rock 1 tuna tin high, not 2. As high as the previous pic.

I've already got two very full tanks. a sparse one would be nice.

#9 ·
Nice. I think maybe lower both of the smaller rocks down a "tuna can's" height to try and make the main rock pop a little more. And now that I see it, I don't know that I like the new secondary stone placement any more than what it was previously... I guess it's up to you which you prefer. Keep us updated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.