The Planted Tank Forum banner

Starting a Paludarium...

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  lochaber 
#1 ·
After reading through and seeing a couple of threads on here, I'm really wanting to set up a paludarium. I plan on using a 10 gallon with a Aqueon 10 HOB, but I'm still unsure of a couple of things. Substrate is the first. Any recommendations would be great! Next is lighting. I was thinking a finnex fugeray 2 or something along those lines. Yet again, any recommendations would be appreciated! Lastly, I need some plant recommendations. Note that this is my first attempt at anything like this, so I'm kind of unsure as of what plants can or cannot be grown above water. I hope to get as much help as possible! Thanks!

#2 ·
If you are planning on doing a fairly typical paludarium, I don't think a HOB filter will work for most set ups. They can only draw water an inch or two up (maybe more, but not enough to work on a 1/2 full tank).

Better would be to just get a small powerhead or fountain pump, and build a filter into your waterfall.

For substrate, You'll probably want two different versions, your submerged substrate (which would be any of the typical aquarium substrates), and the terrestrial substrate.
What you plan on using for the terrestrial portion is probably going to depend on the plants and the conditions. Do a search for something called "Atlanta Botanical Garden Mix" (ABG mix), a lot of the dendroboard folk use that and it seems to work pretty well from what I've read (haven't used it myself...).

Anyways, I'd recommend going with a bigger tank if you have the room for it. 10 gallons are already fairly small, and when you stick backdrop in there, and then have it only 1/2 full, there isn't much water or room in there.

#3 ·
I've seen CannaBrian's two paludariums (one here http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104726 ) and I'd like to attempt the HOB style he has. If it doesn't work I might pickup a Zoo Med 501. As for tank size, I'm purchasing a rack soon, so I might be able to use a 20 long for this project. (still deciding on that one.) Thank you for the substrate tips. It has been my biggest confusion this whole time.

#4 ·
welp, I was wrong, I didn't think a HOB could draw water up that far, but apparently that one is, so...

I think also for a paludarium of that size, you can probably get away without using terrestrial substrate, most of the plants will be things that have their roots in the water, or be like moss and baby's tears or epiphytic stuff that will grow on pretty much whatever.

Definitely post pics once you get it setup.

#8 ·
I think any sort of light you would use for a similar sized aquarium would probably work fine for a paludarium as well.

Most houseplants and such have very low light requirements, and can often be grown indoors just on ambient light.

Just as a guess, but I imagine 2 13watt CFLs would probably work well for a 15 gallon. Either get an incandescent hood and replace the bulbs with CFLs, or use some brooder reflectors or something similar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.