The Planted Tank Forum banner

Good amount of carsdinal tetras in a 55 gallon?

18K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  green_valley 
#1 ·
What is a good amount?
I dont want them to be crowded but i want a nice school
Thanks

#6 ·
In a 55 gallon, I think you could have 40 or 50 cardinal tetras easy. I have a 55 gallon and here is my stock list - 9 Congo tetras, 15 black neon tetras, 15 neon tetras, 2 glow light tetras and 7 corys. None of my fish seem cramped or anything, though it is busy most of the time, especially when food is added.

#7 ·
Depends on what else is in there. Also make sure you have a good supplier. You could get 2 dozen and loose half or more due to condition. You could also have 2 dozen and only loose a few. I had almost 2 dozen. Lost all but 4 along with the majority of my tank though. My co2 dumped and I loss 2-3 fish per day until I realized what the problem was.

#9 ·
It depends on your purpose. If you just want them to be in there and swim around, then yes, you can go 40 or 50. BUT, if you wanted to see them schooling, I would go between 20 to 30.

I have 55 gallons, and i have 45 of them, and they don't really school for obvious reason. They think they're schooling already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.