The Planted Tank Forum banner

HELP !!!! What are these things!!

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  SupaTank 
#1 ·
I have been finding this in my tank & i think it the cause of all my missing Crystal shrimps. I don't know what it is, at first i thought it was planaria, but now i am thinking it might be leeches or worms? please help, i just started the hobby 4mth back and it has been very discouraging. So far this is my 2nd batch of crystals, the first batch all vanish; I am down to only 7 crs left from 21. Water Automotive lighting Rim Gas Sky

Dishware Automotive lighting Tints and shades Gas Circle

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

Brown Wood Metal Natural material Macro photography

See less See more
#5 ·
Gosh, that is a big worm! Personally you shouldn't care what kind it is but to redo your tank. I heard from another member that using the worm killer for dogs in a very small amount work. Or, just redo the whole tank. I thought Planaria should be white?

#6 ·
You can tell if it's a planaria if it has 2 eyespots, and usually a triangular shaped head. Leeches have a skinny head, with a sucker type mouth and large rear end, with a sucker to hold onto things.

#7 · (Edited)
From all the pictures online, I don't think they are planarias. Like ValMM stated, planarias have 2 eyes and a arrow-like head. The one in my pictures have no visible eyes & a rounded head. I assumed it was a planaria at first by the way it moves. Thats why I dosed my tank (& the one on top individually) with the dog dewormer "Safeguard Canine" that has the active ingredient 22.2% fenbendazole, but the dang thing just swam back and forth like nothing!?. Isn't it supposed to kill them right away? I've read this is the safe route when it comes to having shrimps/planted tank. i don't think it a leech either, what do you guys think?

Planarias? Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Insect

Flower Terrestrial plant Petal Plant Flowering plant

#9 ·
Crystals are harder to keep alive. I wouldn't have started off with a batch of crystals.

Planaria glide around when they move.

Leeches move a little bit like caterpillars. Do you have any critters that might snack on them?

Take a short video on how the little worm thing moves.

#12 ·
The tank has been established for over 3 yrs with fish in it. I turned it into a planted tank 4 months back with Red cherries and only recently introduced crs. That's why i don't think its my tank that's the problem and concluded it was that planaria looking things.

#18 ·
I was able to locate an imaged online that resemble the flat worm we were talking about. Here's the link: http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is_that_bug_in_my_aquarium.html for more info along with some other critters (in case you have some other bugs in your tank you were curious about). I still don't think they are planaria, because my other tank just broke out with some and they look like the stereotypical planarias. Maybe there different breed of planarias, who's knows....?

ps Insert video viva youtube link

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.