The Planted Tank Forum banner

anoles and day geckos?

11K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Quifish 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first post here. I joined because I have become interested in vivariums. Would it be possible to Keep a day gecko and a anole in the same 20 gallon tank? Thank you anyone who answers.

#4 ·
Alright, here's my two cents. I'm of the belief that different reptile/amphibian species shouldn't be kept together, period. That being said, if you are in fact going to keep different animals together, you have to make completely sure they are compatible. Day geckos and anoles MAY be possible, but I have never kept day geckos so couldn't say for sure. The thing you have to make sure of is that one animal isn't outcompeting another for food, or being overaggressive towards another. In my experience, geckos are much less aggressive when it comes to hunting than are anoles, but again, this experiece does not include day geckos. I also haven't kept white's tree frogs.

You have to be especially careful in a 20 gallon, as it's not that large a tank. There aren't going to be areas different temperatures and humidity levels that the animals can actively seek out to find the one that best suits them. This is usually the deciding factor to allow for a mixed species tank- a large enclosure.

So do I recommend mixing these species? No. Is it possible? Maybe, with a larger tank and some very careful planning, research, and observation.

-Pat

#6 · (Edited)
I agree with patm - single species tanks, unless the tank/enclosure is huge. Day geckos, IME, sometimes are not a hand friendly lizard and can be very timid. They can also be territorial and might not like another kind of lizard in such a small enclosure. I would go with anoles as they are active, enjoy the whole tank(not just the walls), and can be 'played' with. Day geckos can be nervous and are excellent at escaping. Try anoles first and then move on from there. Frogs deserve their own tank and most are super boring.

Oh, for example of bad lizard mixing. Here where I live in Florida we have tons of anoles. I could collect a hundred in an hour easy. Most are brown anoles however(non-native) as they have outcompeted the greens for both food and real estate. Browns have no fear of the ground, people, cars, parking lots, cats, birds, etc.. or maybe they are just dumb. At any rate, for every 25 browns I see I spot 1 green. These would not be happy tank mates. Keep us updated.

#7 ·
sorry i didnt see this earlier. it can be done and lots of people do it a nice match usually is a day gecko with a whites tree frog. both great animals. i have a whites and its impossible to kill.. to some extent. aka very good beginer frog. the one thing day geckos like is a nice planted viv so make sure u got your plants in there.

-=- fish newb -=-

good luck!

#8 ·
I wouldn't match most tree frogs, including white's, with a day gecko, as they are nocturnal while day geckos, as the name states, are diurnal. The different active periods can stress the animals out. Maybe not to the point of death, but still, why push it when it could easily be avoided?

-Pat

#9 ·
I kept a day gecko and a grey tree frog together in a 30 gallon tank..

however when i introduced the grey tree frog to the tank, i must admit it did get a little bite from the gecko - but the lizard quickly skuffled away shaking its head in disgust asif it did not like the taste of the frog - frog did not seem to be hurt :(

(i guess the frog has some kind of mucus on its skin which would put off predators in the wild)

since then i have never seen the the lizard attack the frog, in fact the lizard and frog occasionally sit next to each other and there is no problems between them.. :proud:

however i could emagine competition for food.. so i feed them crickets dusted with calcium powder, individually with tweezers - which they enjoy!!

few pics

#10 ·
Ahhhhh, c'mon. Bite the bullet, get a pair of Tokays!:icon_evil . Then walk around you house for 15 minutes waiting for them to let go! Their bitey, but beautiful.

Although it can be done, its usually better to keep most herps in spiecies only tanks. If you do decide to give it a try, be selective on you choices for both. Their are diffrent types of anoles, and the sizes and aggression levels in each varies a bit. Same with the day geckos. Give www.kingsnake.com a look over and take a look at some of the info there. Its a total resource center in that they dont actually sell anything, but have TONS of links to breeders, suppliers, care sheets, and pretty much anything else you might need. Just remember that, like plants, most herps need special lighting and suppliments to thrive, and in some cases(most), live. Lighting is one of the most overlooked aspects of herps and they need proper wavelengths to proccess calcium correctly.

#11 ·
No Problem

1 day gecko and 1 anole in a 20 galloin sounds just fine to me, I was a mixed species vivarium disbeliver for a long time, untill I read an article in REPTILES magazine by Rex Lee Sercey. And he basically said that It is a common myth to herpers young and old that there should be one species per tank. He then described a vivarium he had for years that held, reed frogs, dart frogs, rainbow lizards, day geckos, an a juvie ETB. Talk about an ecosystem! Though I might add that day geckos and anoles are from completly different sides of the globe, if you are looking for a natural planted vivarium, with several species,why not try to have species form the same surrounding area?
Also I agree with XenoMorph2049, get some tokays! Even though they can be very mean at first, with a little work they will calm down. I've had two and both were and are extreamly tame. ~ Rex

#16 · (Edited)
Day african cichlids, day geckos, and anoles Oh My

My first post

Background/ setup: I have a 150 gal high aquarium which I have set up as a vivarium. 2/3 of it is water. The other 1/3 is a planted air space. Planted with devil's ivy which grows rampant over the stacked lace rock which serves as both background in the water and hiding places/ territories for the African cichlids. In the 1/3 of air space above the water the lace rock extends out of the water and wraps around the the entire back wall and and side walls of the tank to make land that extends about 10 to 12 inches from the glass in the back and 6 inches from glass on sides. I use two aquaclear 110 power filters like canister filters and they provide filtration and ad a dual waterfall effect in my design. The devils ivy is my nitrate filter and grows in heavy growth of vines on land and even extend over the surface of the water a bit too. The water portion is setup to resemble a coral reef, the land portion resembles a tropical rain forest. There is silk versions of tropical flowers for pops of color in land portion. I have not added it yet, but planning to create a very small island at the front right corner to make adding crickets easier. The island will have a vine bridge to main section so crickets can scurry across to main land. (Any crickets they try swimming across have a 90% chance of being picked off by cichlids before they can get out of the water.) also gonna raise an area in back left corner to be like 5 inches out of the water to place a heating stone, though not sure if I need it since air temp stays a pretty consistent 84 degrees heated by the water.

My question: the African cichlids are full grown and established for the last 3 years. I want to now populate the space on land. I was thinking of populating the land portion with green anoles and day geckos, also would smaller tree frogs for my wife who loves frogs or maybe a stinkpot turtle be a good mix with anoles and day geckos in this setup? Mostly want the day geckos and anoles though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.