The Planted Tank Forum banner

lighting

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Fish Breeder 
#1 ·
I have a 125 gal Fresh Water Tanks and am getting ready to add 2 M/H lights for the plants. My ? is this.
Is 2 400 watt 4000K bulbs
enough for my tank:fish:

#4 ·
My balists are 175s so I am going to have to stick with the 175 M/H what if I just used one light in the middle of the tank would that work or would that make the ends of the tank kinda low on light :(
will post a picture of my light setup later if anyone wants to see it and have a better idea of what I am using :flick:

#5 ·
If yours is the conventional 6 foot long 125 gallon all-glass aquarium, then you're definitely not going to be able to get away with a single light, no matter what the size. One MH is generally used to illuminate two feet of tank width. If you already have a 175, simply add two more and that would be perfect.

#6 ·
I have 2 175s on my 125 gal tank sorry for all the ? but I am new to the live plant tank thing so any and all info is welcome
also I think before I siad 2 400 watt M/H
But they are 2 175s right now with 10000 K and am looking at going to two 175 40000K
sorry for the mix up :confused:

#7 ·
Ok so you've already got the two 175 watt Metal Halides with bulbs that have a color temperature of 10,000K. You want to replace these with bulbs of the same wattage (175w) but a higher color temperature (40,000K)?
If that's what you're asking, I definitely do not think that is a good idea. While plants do rely heavily on blue light for plant growth, they also need strong output in the red are of the spectrum. I'd actually look at bulbs in the 5000K - 6700K region, but if yours are still working, I wouldnt' change a thing. Next bulb change you can try a lower color temperature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.