The Planted Tank Forum banner

Demonbreedr's 20gEH Riparium - SE Asian Themed Tank

3K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  cableguy69846 
#1 ·

Ok, so I got a 20 gallon extra high a week ago now...while looking at it, I was pondering ideas...when I started thinking about the crack, I didn't feel comfortable filling it anywhere near it...so then the thought hit me! Riparium...

I had the stuff from a few previous attempts that I loved but never worked out...

Continuing the story:
A few weeks ago in WM I seen a betta I wanted to bring home[actually, I'd like to bring them all home, but I can't :p ] ... what drew me to him was his coloration[blue & red Cambodian/marble-ish mix] and tail type[crowntail] and that he had swim bladder disease...

Well...this last week, he got over it and could control where he swam[99%, atleast] and I suddenly realized if I set up the tank and put him in, he'd have a bigger space[he darts and I didn't want him darting in the ornament and getting more injuries] and that'd be 1 less tank I have to worry about every single day[1gal critter keeper]...

SOOO...to today, I bleached and really cleaned up the tank, dechlorinized it, blah blah blah and put him in...when I did, he acted as though he died and went to heaven!

Anyways, as it sits, it's incomplete, but within the next few weeks, I'll resolve that and within the next few months, hopefully it'll grow to match my [high ;) ] expectations... :biggrin:

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, whatever, I'd LOVE to hear them!

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi everyone!

Kworker, there isn't much to show justtt yet...it's the riparium containers/rafts, a silk plant, and 3 decorations for Tygris[the CT betta] to swim thru... :p It's just functional for now...but I'll definitely take pics when there are things to show! :biggrin:

aretreesfree, It really is a crazy tank shape...like...2 10's stacked...lol

Hydro, I was thinking crypts, mosses, java fern(s) and such...easy things that will live under 30W of CF lighting...

For the moss & duckweed, I already have that covered[thank you shrimp10! :D ]...

hopefully the crypts and ferns will be easy to acquire too because you can tell, tho they live in there[/I have some], they don't have any babies that I could use[IE, they aren't as fast growing as the java/flame/Christmas moss :icon_lol: ]...

Any other plant suggestions from those? I'd kinda like to keep it SE Asian...

#6 ·
That is a crazy tank shape. I like it.:D Should make for a great riparium.

If you want crypts, I have some. Emergent grown, but will still work. Wouldn't mind taking some of that moss off your hands......

If not, talk to gordonrichards on here. He has a bunch of stuff that he sells. Some of my crypts are from him, and they are great.:D

#7 ·
Ooo...that'd be cool! How much moss would you want and would it bother you if it's mixed together? [I have flame and java for sure...but maybe also Christmas? They're all entwined, tho]

Also, while reading thru your tanks' thread, I see you have Myriophyllum Mattogrossense...I'm dying to have that plant again[not really, but I hated when my last batch died off since it was so epic]...do you have any strands/cuttings you could part with?

#8 ·
I would be interested in a little bit of each moss. Not a whole lot, maybe the size of a marble or so. And I can trim back the M. mattagrossens. I have it going crazy in two tanks.:thumbsup:

#10 ·
Naw, I will pass on the frogbit. I am currently infested with duckweed and I hate the stuff.:hihi:

Shoot me a PM tomorrow, and we can work out all the details for this. I need to see if I can get some ID's on some crypts, but I know for sure I have C. wendtii 'Red' growing emersed. I have like 3 or so more kinds as well, but I don't know what they are.

#11 ·
The best thing it's got going for it[besides being a major nutrient sponge, atleast] is that it's MUCH easier to eradicate then duckweed[because it's a LOT bigger] but I know floating plants block light to others and that alone can suck...

And I have duckweed in Arc's[my red copper dragon HMPK] 2.5, the shrimp10, & the 20gL and I get what you're saying about hating the stuff! lol It just doesn't want to die... :p

#12 ·
I try to stay away from floating plants as a lot more of the plants I have been getting lately need higher light to color up a bit. Not to mention, with HOB filters the stuff can make a mess.

I don't think duckweed can be killed. It will survive nuclear holocaust with the roaches and twinkies.:hihi:

#13 ·
Still haven't gotten anything done on the tank[sick]...but Tygris has a bubble next by one of the riparium planters... :p

Anyways, I think this is the list:

Equipment:
20gEH glass tank ... brown trim/stick on thermometer
Tetra Whisper 10i Filter
Tetra Whisper 50W Heater
20LBS. brown gravel[including in the riparium pots]
3 small riparium pots/trellis rafts
2 stump ornaments

Fauna:
2 Firebellied Newts[if I can find them and depending on how they do with -- below]
1 M CT Betta - Tygris

Flora:
Flame/Java/Taiwan Moss
Cryptocoryne Wendtii ‘Red’ & ‘Green’
Hygrophila Corymbosa ‘Stricta’/’Kompakt’/Angustifolia
Hygrophila Polysperma/Polysperma ‘Rosanervig’
Rotala Rotundifolia
Java Fern
Tiger Lotus
Floating Fern/Duckweed[because it's entwined with the moss & floating ferns]

Any thoughts so far?

#14 ·
Hope you feel better.

Not sure about the newts. They like cooler water, like low 70's and the betta will like warmer water, low 80's. So you may not work there. I am not 100% on this though.

#15 ·
I'm still alittle on the edge about them, but if they seem uncomfortable, I'd definitely adopt them out...the betta is my main priority, obviously... :p

But I used to have one and it did very well for itself in warmer temps so I'd still kinda like to try a couple and atleast see if I can keep them happy/healthy...

#18 ·
Here are some of the best crypts that I have tried for growing in the hanging planters...

Crypt. wendtii, any variety
Crypt. pontederiifolia
Crypt. cordata
Crypt. walkeri (lutea)

For the trellis rafts in a tank like that Pilea grandifolia and Pilea cardierei are good choices. So is Anubias barteri var. nana.

#20 ·
Those crypts are perfect! I'll definitely have to give them all a try when I can locate them[which means I need to buy more planters from you when I can... :biggrin: ]

I wasn't really planning to stray from the Asian theme much, so I think the anubias is out[besides the fact they will be/are in my 55 & shrimp10] however, I completely forgot about pileas and DEFINITELY would love to try some of them again at some point...

Here's a random pic of Tygris so far for what it's worth...

He looks soooooo much like he has an arc running thru his tail...but I already have a betta named Arc...lol

#23 ·
hehe, thanks! Atleast it looks better then *BLAH*! :p

Completed[well, not really, but it's how it generally looks...there's still stuff I need/want to attach]:

Anyways, probably simple stuff like creeping fig ... that's all I can remember right now...lol We'll have to see as things appear...

#25 ·
I didn't even think about rocks! lol Thanks! I was trying to figure out what exactly to attach and/or make it look like so yep, I think that'll be the theme! I'll probably put in some real DW to stick out of the water and rocks for the bottom.

The only really submerged plant I'm thinking about at this point is the rotala rotundifolia so the water area is gonna probably be mostly a hardscape...

#26 ·
I meant if you were going to cover the styro with anything to make it look natural. That would be awesome. You could even imbed some wood and stones in it too. And the DW would be cool sticking out of the water. Go for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.