Canister easier to maintain? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Trio123
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for all the help! I am getting a Fluval 06 Multi-Stage Canister Filter and will put it in plastic container as Lornek8 suggested As you guys pointed out, the tank seams can leak too... it just one of those risks.

Plus the Gieco representative said that fish tanks are not specifically exempted from our all risk coverage, which means that damage should be covered by our policy if anything were to happen.
Trio123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello!

If it is a heavily planted tank the plants would do most of the filtration, and heavily filtration should not be neccesary.

I have used both canisters and hobs on different tanks, personally i dont like canisters, i find them more difficult to clean and they need some more mechanical maintanence to keep them from leaking. I have had a experience with a canister that started leaking when i was not home, and i can tell you, that was not fun

Personally i like in tank filters, it is possible to make a great internal filter (mutch better than bought ones) and attached it to a powerhead. In planted tanks i find them easy to hide and there is no equipment showing out of the tank, and the filter leak threat is eliminated, one more leak factor gone.

I like DIY, and i personally think the aquarium equipment market causes us to belive it is nessesary to by expensive equipment, not only in the filter departement.

Jnad
Jnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
hamato
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanider View Post
It happens. If you don't seal it properly or something, it can leak. HOB filters can leak, too. I've had seals go bad and they'll spray water all over the place. I mean, even the silicone holding your tank together can leak! It's all about being cautious and keeping an eye on things.
I've had an Aquaclear HOB drain 1/4 of my tank water by overflowing before. I guess the media was somehow seated improperly and it caused it to slowly overflow.
hamato is offline   Reply With Quote