The Planted Tank Forum banner

JEden8's 27 Gallon Cube

17K views 63 replies 15 participants last post by  JEden8 
#1 · (Edited)
Current Photo - 23 November 2012

Tank Specs:
20 x 18 x 20 (Marineland 27 Gallon Cube)

Equipment:
Rena Filstar XP1
Marineland Double Bright LED Fixture

Flora:
Java Fern
Anubias Nana Petite
Java Moss
Brazillian Pennywort
Cabomba

Fauna:
Albino Bristlenose Plecos
Cherry Shrimp

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I got my new tank last night. I really wanted a frameless tank but went with the Marineland 27 Gallon Cube set. Still need to get a filter, driftwood, plants, and I'm still debating on if I want to use the Marineland Double Bright LED fixture it came with. The idea that I have for this tank is to do an "island" with manzanita branch(es) and rocks surrounding it. Then I'll use pool filter sand around the rocks. For plants, I'm looking at narrow leaf java fern and anubias.

Here's a couple pics:

The 55 in the background is sold and they are waiting for me to setup this tank so I can start transferring fish and shrimp. The primary purpose of this tank is going to be raising albino bristle nose plecos and breeding cherry shrimp.

Any recommendations for filtration and how well this LED fixture will do with the anubias and ferns? Thanks all!

See less See more
#41 ·
Here's my untreated tap water levels:

PH: 7.6
Nitrate: 0-5.0 ppm
Ammonia: 1.0-2.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
GH: 196.9 ppm
KH: 71.6 ppm

It possibly could be your PH. I've never dealt with cherries in anything over 8. Now I could be wrong on that because I don't consider myself a cherry shrimp expert but have had good luck with what I've been doing. I also haven't tested my water in that tank since I set it up back in May. If it is the PH you could use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and pre-conditioned tap water.

How quickly are they dying when you put them in?

#52 ·
Sorry it's been a little hectic lately. We had to move this past week so I had to tear the tank down. I have the driftwood back in there but haven't had a chance to get the rocks and anubias back in there. That's my goal to get accomplished tomorrow. Once I get it done I'll post some more pics! I also have Blueberry shrimp starting to grow up in there. I've counted about 12 so far after the move and can see the whole tank.

VERY BEAUTIFUL TANK!!!

I have always loved Cube tank!!! You did a awesome job on the hard scape, and I really like your plant choices too! I can't believe the amount of shrimp you have in there! Is there going to be problems with the amount of shrimp? Who are your plecs doing? Getting big enough to breed yet?

Would love to see any current pics ya have!
Thanks,
Drew
Thanks Drew! I have been selling a lot before the move so my stock has cut down at least in half from where I was at so it helps out. I've also moved all the albino bristlenose plecos that are more than 2" long into my 90 gallon to grow them out a little bit more before I either sell them or just trade them in for store credit at my LFS. All of my albino plecos that are in this tank are actually from the breeding pairs I have in my 90 gallon. When I moved I drained the 90 completely to cut down on the weight and the male was protecting the babies in the driftwood so I placed in the 27 gallon to sweep them out and got about another 30 baby plecos! I couldn't believe it! I know of the larger plecos that I have at least 2 males so far of the about 7 or 8 that I pulled out. I'll get some more pictures up as soon as I can. I have to put all the plants back in both tanks tomorrow.

Wow Subscribed!
Thanks Unikorn!

Your cherries are starting to become fire reds, nice. :)
Thanks! I have about 5 or 6 in there that are completely red. Don't know how it happened but I like it! HAHA

#49 ·
VERY BEAUTIFUL TANK!!!

I have always loved Cube tank!!! You did a awesome job on the hard scape, and I really like your plant choices too! I can't believe the amount of shrimp you have in there! Is there going to be problems with the amount of shrimp? Who are your plecs doing? Getting big enough to breed yet?

Would love to see any current pics ya have!
Thanks,
Drew

#53 ·
Here's how everything currently looks after the move:

Baby Albino Bristlenose Plecos:

So ever since about 2-3 weeks before we moved, I started noticing about 4 or 5 dead cherry shrimp about every other day in the tank. I figured it was from the larger plecos producing too much waste so I moved them out. No change after that. I got the tank to our new house and they are still dying. Any ideas as to what is causing this? Also, why do my anubias look like this?

#55 ·
Hey there! I have the same tank as you. Tank looked really nice before the move.

I just planted my tank and was wondering if i needed any ferts to help start the plants off right. Do you have any ideas? what kinds and where to get?

Is this considered a High Jack? I just thought id ask..

Thanks

#56 ·
Well thank you! I love the tank as I've always wanted a cube. What are your plans for it?

I use dry ferts for mine but use it in small amounts. I also use Seachem Excel in small amounts. Everything will be determined on what you are looking to grow plant wise and what your goals are with the tanks. I use low light, slow growing plants that don't require a ton of fertilizers. That and I'm not using high light and pressurized C02. Don't know if this helps but all of the details are really needed to get the best advice of what has worked for others.

You're good. That's what the forum is for!

#58 ·
Still looking good!!!

It is different than before, but I still like the looks of it! That piece of wood it very cool too! Do the shrimp normally keep it looking that clean, or is it the plecs, or a combo of both? I have noticed that the wood and rocks in most shrimp tanks always look very clean, so I figured it was from all of the shrimp constantly picking over it for food!

I have been wanting to setup a shrimp tank for a long while but cash flow is very slow, and shrimp can be expensive!

Anyway keep up the great work on the tank!!!! I can't wait to see it return to its previous glory!!!
Drew

#59 ·
Thanks Boxxer! I don't know if it is just the shrimp or a combo of the shrimp and plecos that keep it clean to be honest. Most likely it is the shrimp like you said.

I can agree with you on the cash flow bit! Luckily everything that I have has been funded from selling off everything from all of my tanks which helps pay for itself. That was my whole purpose of the shrimp tank. I put a lot of money up front but I make anywhere from $20-$40 a month just in cherry shrimp alone. Once I get the other shrimp species breeding then I will be able to double or even triple that amount. I just bring them into LFS's and get store credit so I never have to worry about buying any supplies needed. Well worth the investment if you get the chance!

Thanks again!

#62 ·
Beautiful tank, beautiful shrimp.

#63 ·
Thanks Kristen! My shrimp tanks have been neglected since my daughter was born. Who knew infants would take up all of my spare time!? HAHA I broke down two of my tanks so I'll be doing a lot of work on this tank over the next few weeks. Thinking about breaking it down and doing a thorough cleaning since I've noticed a decline in my shrimp reproduction. What part of Florida are you in?

#64 ·
Well I have come to the conclusion that it's time to put this tank up for sale. I've been having a blast breeding them and bringing them into my LFS for store credit to fund my aquarium hobby. I've slowly been selling my tanks as I don't have as much time as I used to. Right now I want to spend as much time with my daughter as I can and put all of my attention on her. Still figuring out a price for the entire setup but something will get posted in the Florida section for those of you interested around Tampa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.