The Planted Tank Forum banner

Belize>>> CAMERA FOUND!!!...some pics added

8K views 73 replies 29 participants last post by  fresh_lynny 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok well..I promised some good pics from my vaca in Belize last week, but as luck would have it, I lost my underwater equipment in a squall while diving.....chased it up to 130 feet but since visibility was so poor it dropped to about 400...so lost forever....ON MY BIRTHDAY TO BOOT! sucks...anyway, all of that diving and 4 days in the jungle, no camera. I saw a neet lawn of emersed HC on a Mayan temple too! And to make matters worst, my last 3 dives were on that card, so I lost those pics too. OK my rant is over...I will go and pout now.

#33 ·
Now that is a fantastic idea!

#37 ·
I disagree, they probably expended quite a bit of time and effort to find it. You pay people to do things for you every day, cut your hair, mow your lawn, drive you somewhere. These people probably did way more than a server at a restaurant or the person who makes your late, why not pay them a reasonable finders fee. Tangent I know

#39 ·
AlGee I agree. Particularly since I tipped them 300 bucks for 3 days of diving, and they didn't do anything but hang with us. I know damned well that the average person tips the capt. 20 bucks for a dive trip, not 100 per day. Here is a cut and paste of the quote...

Your camera has been found!!!!! The finder is
claiming finders keepers, so we may need to bribe him
to get it.

#42 ·
I agree otter. I got a call yesterday, asking to make a "swap"
mmmmm That's good Bass!!!I gave them my address and told them to send mt the card, then we will go from there. Once I get the thing in the mail, I will let you guys know how I proceed. If I EVER found something that I knew belonged to someone else, I AUTOMATICALLY give it back, with a smile. We have all lost something important. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night thinking I "stole" something from someone. Finders keepers only applies to someting that you have no idea where it came from and you make a concerted effort to determine its owner. The entire city knew about my camera. It was regular conversation in the bar at night <there is only one bar where we were> I know every diver in the city so I know who has it, and they know me. The sad part of the deal is that the person who has it made a comment when we were diving together about how much he loved my Atomic mask, and how they cannot get them in Belize. The day I came home from the trip, I bought him one. I never told him that I did, and was going to just ship it to him. Then this happened. Sometimes we give of ourselves, and are made to feel stupid in the process. It is sad.

Anyone looking to buy an Atomic dive mask?

#43 ·
That completely sucks! I did lose my mask a few months ago, along with a brand new UK Mini-W 40 LED light attached to it, I've been using my spare since which doesn't fit right and leaks a lot.. very irritating, especially while lobstering, and both hands are full... it's a pain to be clearing your mask with almost every exhale. It was a Chameleon, mask with the interchangeable red and yellow filters. I'm not familiar with the Atomic mask.. got a link to it? Maybe I'll buy it since I need a new one.
Was this in Belize City? I thought Belize was great... did you have a few Belikins while you were there? I found the people there to be very nice but VERY poor... it's hard to fault them for wanting some $, I could never be like that, but my situation is vastly different.

#44 ·
This is the mask.
http://www.atomicaquatics.com/vision.html
It is great. It wasn't Belize City, It was in Placencia....closer to Guatamala.
The guy that found it works at a Resort, and gets paid very well. Especially for that part of the world. I guess greed is universsal.

#45 ·
Ok so my camera is still being held hostage, and after all of this time, i got the card with my pics on it as proof he has it....so at least I got my pics back...he is pretty upset i am not sending him miney for the camera though. I sent him a blank card to replace my card and that's it...I guess that is better than I could have hoped this turned out....i replaced the camera...bought a new one and an ikelite for my trip to Statia in March...he is stuck now no extortion..no power cords...and no more battery...what will he do with it now?

#48 ·
I am at work..my hubby got it in the mail...the one pic he emailed me to show me it came, is of him drunk when we went to the birthday party of the cowboy from the Village People...lol I don't think he would want me to post that one! LMAO.......i hear you Chaz....me too

#50 ·
yep BS...that means more...

#54 ·
yes...he knew exactly where it came untethered, knew I was leaving the next day....and waited for me to leave to go down and get it, only to extort money from me....after I gave him a 300 dollar tip and bought him a new expensive mask....you are right. It is reasonable for him to ask me for money...lol
He had the boat and the tanks. If he really was doing somethiing for me, he would have gotten it that day, but instead he marked where it was and waited for me to leave to get it, so he had leverage. He even went to a different site for the next dive so there was no way I can find it...oh yeah, and I found out on my scuba forum that this was not the first time at this place either!

#55 ·
I will upload a few to photobucket and share a few....

#57 ·
some pics from the card from the bottom of the ocean

These are some turtles that were getting picked off by birds, so I collected what I could, and my friend was going to "rear" them to get large enough to release them.

Here is an endangered Jewfish. Bot a great pic, but he was a little larger than a VW bug. I was pretty close to him, but he was all over the map.

Here is an Angle playing peek a boo...

Here is one of a sea of Barracuda we dove in. He was about 4 feet in length, and liked to stare...lol

not my best work, but from sitting at the bottom of the ocean.....I am happy... There are a ton more pics, but here are a few.

#59 ·
yes but Belize in in Central America lol

#61 ·
HAHAHA nice Dougie...actually they were released 2 weeks ago...

#65 ·
I hear you, Whitepine. I send the card to the extortionist so that I can get my card back, which was irreplaceable. I will not have any further contact with them. I paid for my camera with Amex, so I got it replaced...I think that pisses them off more because I am not giving them money for the camera, and they have no battery or cords to charge it, and they cannot get one where they live. Oh well, too bad.
I got the card with the pics on it. That is the main thing, because I have my last 6 dives on it....

Thanks FN...like I said, they aren't my best, and I have to think that sitting on the bottom of the ocean may have affected the color somewhat...but who knows.

Onward and upward....Sometimes the world is not a great place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.