The Planted Tank Forum banner

Photography Competition!

11K views 83 replies 40 participants last post by  YuccaPatrol 
#1 · (Edited)
NOTE:The deadline for submitted pictures has been extended by 2 weeks. The new due date is March 25, 2006 in order to give people more time to snap some pictures.
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to announce The Planted Tank Photography competition. Showcase your talents, let the world know just how good you really are. Oh yeah, and have a shot at winning a $100 gift certificate to www.seachem.com. This competition is open to all. The only requirement is that you must be a member of the forum to participate.

The competition will be broken down into 2 categories: Plants and Fish/Shrimp . The Fish/Shrimp will be broken down even further into Macro and Non-Macro shots. Every member is allowed to submit up to four pictures total, with a maximum of 2 in both Plants and Fish/Shrimp. For Fish/Shrimp, you can enter either 2 in macro, 2 in non-macro, or 1 in each.

All participant's names will be kept anonymous till the end of the competition. The voting will be 100% member-based, with each member getting one vote per category. We will do our best to curtail any cheating and anyone found to be cheating will immediately be disqualified. Cheating includes but is not limited to Private/Public enlisting of votes on this site or any others. Also any images perceived as being altered to the extent that the validity of the photograph is in question will be removed from the competition at the administration's sole discretion. Please submit unwatermarked photographs only with a maximum aspect ratio of 1024 x 768.

Important: All entries to the Plants category must focus on one specific plant species. The plant name must be attached with the photograph. Also it is optional, but appreciated if a description of the plant and it's requirements are submitted as well. The optional description will have no effect on the outcome of competition as it will not be displayed during voting. For the Fish/Shrimp category please list all species included in the photograph. There is a reason we are asking for these details. We will use the submitted photographs to help bolster the Plant and Fish Databases. So not only are you getting a chance at a very hefty prize, but you'll also be helping out a good cause!

Now for what we've all been waiting for, the prizes! All gift certificates are valid at www.seachem.com
Plants:
1st - $100
2nd - $50
3rd - $25
Fish/Shrimp (Same for both Macro and Non-Macro):
1st - $50
2nd - $25

Important Dates: All entries will be due on Thursday March 25, 2006 before 12 am USA Eastern Time.

Submit all entries to

Now get those cameras out and start snapping!

Kyle

Note: All photographs submitted to this competition will become property of The Planted Tank.

See less See more
#5 ·
Man - gonna have to polish up on my camera skills.
Hell - have to get some before I can polish them!
Nice way to kickstart the database!

#9 ·
Certainly Dank,

Basically it gives us the right to use the submitted photographs anywhere on www.plantedtank.net. For instance it will allow us to use the photograph in the Plant Database. A planted tank watermark will be added or if requested, the author can add their own watermark after the competition.

Kyle

#10 ·
Thanks for getting this up and running! Now to plan those four shots...

Cheers!

#16 ·
Let's get those entries started. March 9th will be here before you know it.:)

Marcel

#17 ·
This sounds really great!!! I love to see member produced pictures of their plant and fish.

The one thing that I find confusing is the prize winnings. $100.00 for first place in the plant catagory and $50.00 first prize for the fish/shrimp catagory.

If anyone that has taken pictures of plants and fish/shrimp the harder of the three will be the fish catagory, they are constantly on the move. You will take many pictures before getting a good one. As with plants they are stationary and will not move making a plant a very easy subject.

My suggestion is that the 1st place in the fish/shrimp catagory be raised to the $100.00 prize due to the difficulty and precision needed to make a good photo of a difficult subject.

#18 ·
The prizes are not awarded based on difficulty since you guys will be judging(voting on)all the entries.

The $100 prize for the plant categorie was put in to encourage more plant entries, since we are trying to buildup the plant database.

I'd like to put my 2 cents in, and encourage you guys to take pictures of different subjects for your entries, rather than use the same subject in two different categories. Take a look at the Plant/fish database thats already in place on the main page to see what we already have. If you think some plant/fish photos could be better, submit a better one, OR EVEN BETTER would be to enter something That we don't already have!

This will give the database a good headstart for a greater variety of listings.

The Framework for the contest is already in place, we can't change it now that it's already started. My advice to you guys is to get creative with your subject ,composition and lighting. The entries will be voted on by the general membership, so an image thats aesthetically pleasing, IMO, should have a good chance at winning a prize.

It's all entirely up to you guys.

Marcel

#20 ·
I sent a couple of fish pics in a few days back... is there any type of reply or receipt that I should have gotten? I just wanted to make sure they made it in (large images attached to emails have a way of losing their way).

Oqsy

#24 ·
Personally, I think there ought to be an algae category too :icon_roll ... (got some really nice hair-algae kicking up right now ...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.