The Planted Tank Forum banner

Blue Jelly Shrimp

12K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  dreamchick 
#1 ·
This guy came all the way from Singapore to North Carolina a few months ago. I snapped a picture of him using an external Macro lens designed to stick to cell phones. My cell phone is a Droid RAZR. I think the photo came out pretty well.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
no difference. the names are used interchangeably. they describe the all blue variation of the cherry shrimp - originated from [STRIKE]blue[/STRIKE] red rili shrimp.

Blue jelly was also used to describe a certain Taiwan Bee coloration - a clear blue with white stripes. it essentially looks like a crystal blue shrimp. just imagine a crystal red, instead of the red there's a clearish blue color, and that's a blue jelly taiwan bee.

#7 ·
...wouldn't they both be blue velvet shrimp, especially if they bred true blue?
You are ignoring the fact that 99.9% of blue velvet's red markings fade. It is part of the mutation.

The blue rili keeps any red markings it may have.

As to whether it can be categorized as blue rilis, although the phenotype looks the same, the genotypes are different.

Do they both look blue. yes.

#10 ·
No, you are not; I am just trying to learn about the pictured shrimp.

Awesome picture of the blue jelly :)
It must have been a challenge to catch the shrimp in a photogenic spot and then focus in on it. I have an extremely difficult time focusing on shrimp. they're always moving haha!

#12 ·
Thanks. I don't mind the discussion.

If you're wondering, these shrimp do have red markings on them when the shrimplets are hatched and they do fade away with age. Although there is one adult male that has a red spot just behind his eyes. It kind of makes him look like he has three eyes. :)

I was told the Rilis and Jellies/Velvets are the same thing. I got them because a friend owed me since I gave him a ton of Red Cherry Shrimp when his population started dying off and saved his tank so he repaid me by getting me these Blue Jellies to help boost my Blue Pearls' coloration. Now I have a variety of almost white/ice blue/blue jelly shrimp running around their tank. I'm not sure which breeder he used but they're definitely from Singapore. I saw the transhipping papers, they made three stops before finally reaching me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.