The Planted Tank Forum banner

Have a pet(s)? Share a pic here!

17K views 134 replies 68 participants last post by  MikeP_123 
#1 ·
It's great when I see a random photo of someone's pet in their tank Journal, or their Avatar or posted anywhere else.

So, let's share our pets! Dog, Cat, favorite fish, lizard, spider...if it's your pet post it here! Mulitple pets and can't choose between them? Share them all :)

#8 ·
Here's Shadow:

He was thrown out onto the mean streets of NYC & ended up in my parents' backyard where the feral cats were beating him up mercilessly. He was so people friendly and incapable of defending himself against other cats that he just wasn't going to make it on the streets. He won my heart in Jan. 2011 the first time I picked him up and he snuggled against my neck purring loudly and he's been with me since. Found out he was FIV positive (the feline equivalent of HIV) the day I took him in --- he went to the vet. first, who donated treatment for him at her own expense (and said she'd continue to do so as long as he lives). The day after I took him in, a huge snowstorm hit NYC dumping more than 2 ft. of snow. Talk about lucky timing.

The pics. above say it all: he's happy and healthy and adorable. If you look at the shots where he's upside down, you can see the white markings on his muzzle and chin combine to form a heart. That's what he is, too... All heart and 25 lbs. of lean cuddles.

#11 ·

Very nice looking Dobe. The woman that taught me Conformation handling was in the bred for 50+ years, Breeder/Owner/Handler. Wonderful bred of dog.

Funny how you ended up with two of the most devoted dog breeds.
Catahoulas are really beautiful dogs! I've never had the priveledge of seeing one in person. Love the puppy picture!
Thank you. My Doberman came from a breeder in Virginia. She has been breeding for many years. She shows and develops therapy dobies. Pretty cool.

I tell ya I own the sidewalk when I walk with these guys on either side of me LOL! Both are kittens but shhhh..don't tell anyone ;)

The big guy was with us for 7 years. We miss him. The pic was from last Halloween. But, he is still in our hearts :tongue:

#19 ·
Oh he's a beautiful snow! I wondered from the avatar if you had a bengal! They rock the cat world! More like dogs in my home. I have another bengal, but he hates his picture taken LOL! So, none of him and he is gorgeous! A 40 lb muscle-mania cat with rosettes. Have had him for years and still am in awe when he first see him in the morning.

#14 ·
Everyone has such lovely pets! I adore Shadow's story, and the laying-on-the-back-floppy-paw pose - lol

Right now I just have two cats. The red tabby is Taz, and I got from one of my assistant managers, his brother found her tossed into a dumpster. She was roughly 6 weeks old when I got her. She is a big poser. She huffs & puffs and struts like she's tough, but she squeals like a pig when the other cat calls her bluff.

The black cat is Zazu, and she's the same age as Taz, I adopted her from a no-kill shelter to keep the red kitten company. I think Zazu was deprived of oxygen or something, she has very slow reactions and is generally goofy, staring off into space for hours. These last few years she just stares at me, with big moony eyes that never blink. I'm finally used to it - lol. However I found out this summer that when a mouse shows up, she turns into the Terminator.

here they are, both going on 13 yrs old now.

#20 ·
Everyone has such lovely pets! I adore Shadow's story, and the laying-on-the-back-floppy-paw pose - lol

Right now I just have two cats. The red tabby is Taz, and I got from one of my assistant managers, his brother found her tossed into a dumpster. She was roughly 6 weeks old when I got her. She is a big poser. She huffs & puffs and struts like she's tough, but she squeals like a pig when the other cat calls her bluff.

The black cat is Zazu, and she's the same age as Taz, I adopted her from a no-kill shelter to keep the red kitten company. I think Zazu was deprived of oxygen or something, she has very slow reactions and is generally goofy, staring off into space for hours. These last few years she just stares at me, with big moony eyes that never blink. I'm finally used to it - lol. However I found out this summer that when a mouse shows up, she turns into the Terminator.

here they are, both going on 13 yrs old now.

no no no...I believe you are mistaken. That can't be Taz! It is no other than "Puss in Boots" from Shrek! You have a star livin amongst you ;)

#18 ·
lol - that must have been the world's largest Have-A-Heart trap. She looks very chic and pleased in her argyle!

#17 ·
Wow nice dogs! My doberman is the same way when it comes to exersize. I have to take him for hard core bike rides usually between 3-4 hours twice a day otherwise he is a huge PITA! During winter, he becomes a sled dog ;) He loves pulling.

Both my boys were very well mannered too. People would see Ozzy and panic "Is that a pitbull?" I've had folks think Patron is a rottie...:icon_roll What? This skinny thing??? LOL!

I have to challenge Patron (the doberman) consistantly to keep him on task and focused. He loves to learn new things and has a real drive to make me happy at what ever cost. Incredible breed. I've never known a dog to attempt everything I ask of him no matter how challenging it may be.

My dad raised Rotties and Pits when I was a kid. My great grandmother raised Samoyeds. My uncle had Daschunds and my Grandfather had German shepards and Blue Heelers. If it wasn't for being around all those strong headed breeds I probably would not have been able to raise my boys properly. They're my first dogs I've owned.

#22 ·
...If it wasn't for being around all those strong headed breeds I probably would not have been able to raise my boys properly. They're my first dogs I've owned.
Just looking at that pic, I cam tell you dod a great job raising them.

I believe each dog we own prepares us for the next one in some manner.

I won't be bring in another dog until Travis is 6 (18mos.) he deserves some
individual attention as he was in the Rottweier's shadow his whole life. The next will be a girl and I am going to a low energy dog breed, maybe Bull Mastiff, Dogue de Bordeaux, or Boerboel. I really want a Komondor but I know I don't want to deal with the dreadlocks :icon_eek:

#25 ·
haha - I can see the "attitudinal" in your red tabby - I love their personalities, they are characters! My cats are both girls, the vet told me less than 15% of red tabbies are female. I hope I'll always have a crazy cat! I would love to dress them up in costumes and take their pics at Halloween, but they're not declawed, and my health insurance only cover so much ; )

#27 ·
Since Taz is such a trouble maker, I want to dress her up in black & white striped prison garb, complete with the little cap, like in "Where Art Thou Brother". Zazu is round & cobby like an English Shorthair with big round eyes, and I bet she's brilliant behind that clueless look, so I'd make her an owl costume. Or maybe a jailer. She'd like to be Taz's jailer - lol

#30 ·
I can't imagine how lively your home is with all those ferrets! I bet you have a blast : )
I see you live in the Channel Islands - how exotic! Do you mind me asking which one?

#33 · (Edited)
A great thread, it's nice to see how we pretty much all share the love of all animals.

I can't imagine how lively your home is with all those ferrets! I bet you have a blast
My thoughts exactly!

I have a roommate

He's a great assistant in the hobby

(A note: never keep a raccoon in a tank smaller than 30 gallons!)

...and especially interested in putting up a nano-reef of his own

As any good father, I have decided what he's going to be when he grows up. "We" want to be a masked retriever.
Education is well under way

Whatever has disappeared, been broken or gone terribly wrong, it's never his fault

...since believe me: God, evolution, or whatever you think is responsible for it, the 40 teeth are there for a purpose

The purpose is to KILL!
(WARNING : Very craphic violent content, not for under 18 yrs)

We do share a sweeter tooth

...and definitely the favourite pastime

Despite being a wild animal, he's got an empathic side, too.

OH MY GOD! THEY KILLED KENNY!

#36 · (Edited)
Thanks, he appreciates your love.
Me too.

Despite the looks, I would have to say that he's the lousiest pet ever.
12 years of training have paid off, though. I have learned to do everything his way.

I just kinda didn't have a choise when he moved in with me. He's great and he's the worst.

Down sides...? He's a raccoon.
As a pet they might actually be closer to a python than a dog. They don't have a gene that wants to please you or be kind, at all. None.

And on the other hand, they are pretty smart and could be compared with the messiest, most paranoid, most uninterested, most short-tempered, unjust and vendictive roommate.
Life is about outsmarting.

Like a challenge?
Still, don't get one.

#38 ·
Don't need a permit for these up here. You would, if they were found in the nature, locally.

I am really interested in the skunk thing. They appear to be adorable creatures. But since I hate the idea of cutting up an animal and removing vital bodyparts (the glands), will never go for it. Maybe.

#39 ·
All our ferrets are neutered but, it is illegal to de sent them unless there is a medical problem. They do very occasionally let one go when playing hard or meeting a cat or dog & boy they do stink...I can only imagine how bad a skunk would be but from what I have read, neutered skunks rarely use there sent glands unless they are in real big trouble?
Funnily enough I might be able to get a licensed skunk as they are breed for pets in the UK only 70 mile across the sea from us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.