The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fish Farms/ Good Pet shops near Naples

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  lauraleellbp 
#1 ·
I'll be in Naples for a week and I was wondering if anybody knows of any fish farms in the Naples areas. Also, any reccomendations of quality fish/plant dealers would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliner

#2 ·
I wish I could help more but alas... I can't. Here's all I got.......

Try calling up the FTFFA (FL. Tropical Fish Farmers Association). They're near Tampa. They might have some recommendations for you. I seem to remember Naples being down on the west coast at the end of Alligator Alley somewhere. You wouldn't be too terribly far from Miami. There are bunches of importers/farms in the southern parts of the state.

Luis at Fl. Guppies has always been a nice fellow to chat with. Try calling him and see if he's got tips as well.

One of the internet plant retailers in located near Tampa as well. I've heard they occasionally allow visitors. I don't recall their exact web address but I'm sure someone here will pipe up and say.

This should get you a few leads. Good luck.

#6 ·
Amazing Pets in North Naples and Boardroom Aquatics in Fort Myers are the two local LFS catering to fresh water and planted tanks. Especially Boardroom Aquatics. There are plenty of PetSmart/Co/Supermarket places that you're likely not interested in.

I don't know of any fish farms left in the Naples area, there used to be a number of them but land became too valuable and over the last decade they sold out to developers. I think there are still some indoor tank breeders, but I haven't talked to any in years.

Jeff

#7 ·
I lied. Southwest Florida Tropicals is still in business here in Naples. I just looked them up in the phone book and they show as wholesale and retail, I thought they only did wholesale. Listed as:

10110 Laredo St
Naples, FL 34114
(239) 774-3100

There are still some listed in the Fort Myers area as well, though I have never heard of any of them.

Jeff

#8 ·
I go mostly to Boardroom. IMO it's worth the hour+ drive. :thumbsup:

I've never been to any of the local fish farms... but there's also some in the Wellington area...

Amazing Pets up in North Naples is really the only LFS worth visiting in town. They get some nice species in- but you have to be careful b/c they don't QT before putting fish out on display.

I used to go to Fish Central on Davis, but they definitely went downhill with the new owners. I'll occasionally get supplies there, but there's invariably ich in their tanks these days.

Jeff- I'm pretty sure I saw your name as a new member over on TFH forum too... welcome to TPT and TFH both, and glad to have another "local" around on here! :fish:

#9 ·
Jeff- I'm pretty sure I saw your name as a new member over on TFH forum too...
Signed up because I followed your links in your sig... :)

I'll agree that Fish Central has really gone down hill under new owners. It used to be such a nice place, event though it was mostly salt. I haven't purchased anything from Amazing Pets yet, mostly because I just got back into tropical fish as a hobby by setting up a 20 Long at work. Plants primarily came from Boardroom Aquatics for it, cycling now with fist from PetSmart.

Jeff

#10 ·
I'm out in the Estates (and I mean OUT lol) and I still make the drive to Boardroom if I'm buying fish locally. I won't buy anywhere else... I haven't bought from Amazing Pets, to date, though I might try them out down the road...

There's quite a number of us in SW florida now- we need to all get together and meet!

#12 ·
Damien (esteroali) is in Estero, and that's not too bad a drive from my work so Estero/Bonita area would work well for me...

I'm probably going to be out of town the weekend of Feb 7th, and the next weekend is obviously Valentines weekend... but maybe something towards the end of February would work?

What day of the week works best for everyone?

EDIT- I'm going to start a new thread...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.