The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA Mini S: From the land of the rising sun

9K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  seanmcdonnell 
#1 ·
I’m glad to finally post my first Journal, wohoo :icon_bigg. So to begin with the obligatory specs:

Aquarium: ADA Cube Garden MINI S, 31cm X 18cm X 24cm
Lighting: SOLAR Mini S
Filtration and heating: Eheim 2211
CO2: Easycarbo, 1ml every other day
Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil - Amazonia
Hardscape: Mini Landscape Rock
Fertilisers: Tropica Plant Nutrition+, 2ml every 3rd day
Maintenance: 3 x 50% water change per week, general pruning and cleaning
Fish: Rasbora maculate x 10, CPD x 3 ( 2 of which are fry)
Plants: Hemianthus callitrichoides

The ADA aquarium, lighting, substrate and glassware were purchased on a trip to Tokyo, Japan. My hotel was located near the largest tropical fish store in Tokyo, Pau Pau Aqua Garden Ginza. So much cheaper than I could get it here is Copenhagen, Denmark.

Pic of the goodies from my hotel room.

I loved the challenge of aquascaping in such a small space. I tried 3 very different layouts over a 1 month period before I was satisfied. The great thing about the size meant i had a new scape up and running in a few hours:icon_bigg

2/Feb/2011: Tore down the old scape that wasn't doing it for me. Managed to find an awesome stone at my LFS. Planted the Hemianthus Callitrichoides I had in the previous scape. The HC is from Tropica, Denamrk. I thought about breaking it up into smaller peaces as I originally did but i was getting great growth and decided to simply dig it up and move into the new position.

2/Feb/2011: Finished planting. You may notice from the pic that the top left corner is barren from HC. However if the growth keeps up from my previous scape it should not be an issue:proud:

2/Feb/2011: The Rasbora Maculate acclimatising. Great fish, social, curious and active!

3/Feb/2011: Added several CRS and RCS

6/Feb/2011: Overview shot, I know the pipes need a cleaning. Will do so soon and repost the image:angel:

6/Feb/2011: The scape is currently placed on my desk at home.

That's it for now, hope you enjoyed it. I hope to update on the progress on a regular basis, watch this space :icon_bigg

See less See more
#17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm looking forward to see how this progresses and for it to take on a life of its own.

I'm always on the lookout for great stones to use in the aquarium. The main stone is actually supported by three smaller stones. I intentionally placed gaps between them to provide shelter for the shrimps. I'll try and post a better pic of the shrimp cave :hihi:

nicely done, where are you putting your co2 btw?
I am using liquid carbon , EasyLife Easycarbo. Has worked great for me in the past, no need to change a winning formula:icon_smil

I really like that rock... Looks like a miniature cliff face.
Love the main rock also, as soon as i saw it i knew i had to get it. I find its realy difficult to get interesting rocks

I didnt know ADA made green lilly pipes :tongue: Just kidding.
Beautiful tank it fits in nicely in your office.
Ha, ha :icon_lol: Cleaning lilly pipes is a nightmare. Any tips on how to get them squeaky clean?

really cool. great choice of fish as well.
Yep great fish, but i was tempted to place a number of boraras brigittae I have in another Nano. I am stilll contemplating if the red of the Brigittae will have more of a wow factor than the orage/salmon colour of the Maculata. What do you think?

Great start but I gotta ask, why three water changes a week?
I have the lighting on for 10 hours a day. It means really great growth for HC but also a risk for an outbreak of algae. So for the first month or so i will do regular water changes, after that once a week will be sufficient. Also i find it easier to clean the rock when i remove some the water. Better safe than sorry.:thumbsup:

#14 ·
LOL i thought the Exact same thing!

This tank makes me want to start up a high tech nano (besides my ebi which i use more for function rather than looks lol im to get those shrimps to make some babies!)

Aweeesssoooommmmeeeee tank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.