The Planted Tank Forum banner

Brooklyn Aquarium Society 10/12

18K views 218 replies 28 participants last post by  furnfins 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to this. I don't actually need anything, but at the last Big Auction they had repashy and Yourfishstuff vendors and I stocked up on food. Cheap. Besides, I'll be downtown that evening anyway, so I might as well.

Of course if you want to take bets that I come home with something that swims or scuttles, I can't blame you.

I'm no acitydweller, but I figured I'd see if anyone was interested and then, if so, if they want to swap anything.[STRIKE] I have work earlier that day, so I probably won't be bringing livestock, but I can do plants.[/STRIKE]I'm taking off that day, so let me know if you want;

Baby albino bristlenose plecos,
H. formosa fry (I don't have a jillion anymore, but I can spare a few)
Assassin snails
Other snails, the kind that breed out of control if you let them
Watersprite
Java moss
Java fernlets
Various floaters
I have other plants but I either forgot or never knew what they were called, one of these days I should have one of you plant experts over to ID them for me.

I forgot to mention that these auctions usually have awesome deals on tanks. Savvy buyers are used to paying a dollar a gallon on craigslist or Petco, but I've seen tanks with wooden stands and hoods go for less than that at these auctions.

For the sake of full disclosure, it is a trek to get there. There is free parking though, for those of you who drive.

Attachments

See less See more
#202 ·
If you are a cichlid lover this was the auction for you. From African cichlids to angels and discus. It also made me wish I had a marine tank again. The prices for the fish and frags was great! I ended up getting some killifish and I donated a few bags of plants. Overall I enjoyed myself but was looking for more not so common fish and plants. I showed up what I thought was late but ended up being right on time.

#206 ·
DAMN I MISSED THIS! Anyone know if there were geophagus tapajos available at the auction?

Also does anyone know where i can still get some?

Also interested in bandit cichlid and denison barb.

Thanks. Must attend next one!
I put up a G. Steindachneri but there were quite a few very
nice cichlids this time around. I believe the next one is a 50/50
auction, should bring out all the breeders in the club.

#208 ·
A 50/50 is when you bring in fish for auction and you get half and they get half as long as it's $5 and up. The next meeting is Nov.9th, the speaker is Gene Ritter on Reef Diving which I normally wouldn't attent SW but I believe the 50/50 auction is next month. I'll post a question on the forum today, didn't have time when I got home yesterday. I'll post back here later.

#212 ·
The next event is slated for november 9th at the Brooklyn aquarium. The 50/50 auctioning is only for bas members but non members are allowed to bid. Their website hasn't been updated since sept so either then venue is still on or it has been postponed or relocated and it hasn't been reflected on the site yet.

#213 ·
actually I was thinking of that yesterday, just didn't get a chance to email the pres.
Will do so now before I forget, I'll let you guys know if there is still a meeting. The aquarium proper was destroyed, don't know about the trailer we meet in, I can't imagine it's still standing. My mother lives just a few blocks before the aquarium, the area was very hard hit.

#214 ·
just checked BAS on fb. The Education Hall is still standing. I'm really shocked,it's right on the board walk,practically on the beach. However they don't know if there's going to be a meeting. Joe is going to speak with the people at the aquarium this week and let us know. I'll keep you posted, or I'm sure everyone can find BAS on fb too. There are 2 fb pages for them, just go to the one with the cartoon like fish for the avatar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.