The Planted Tank Forum banner

My Bengal Tiger shrimps...aka TT x Red Tiger cross.

6K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  pinoyghost2 
#1 ·
Here are a few pics of my TT x Red Tiger cross shrimps. I have named them BENGAL TIGER shrimp :icon_cool

They are the closest in color and markings I have seen to the actual Bengal Tiger so that's what I have named them.

These are now generation F2s and I am noticing the same Orange coloration and black/white stripes and spots even in the babies.

They grow and breed very fast! I started with only 10 and now have 25 and a berried female again.:icon_roll

Hope you like them :icon_smil

See less See more
#13 ·
Im not a great photographer like Liam, this is just what I could grab with my camera, sorry if the pics are not that clear.

Im sure in the next few generations I will see some more things coming thru, like wider stripes, darker stripes, deeper colors etc.

Keep in mind the CRS x TT would probably show a much wider banding due to the CRS having defined wide bands already.

These are TT x Red Tiger (tiger shrimps having thinner bands) so for me I am pleased with the quality already showing in these shrimps.

#14 ·
Thing is, that coloration won't stay in f2, they will be different. The picture Iposted above is f1, this below is the same shrimp but f2 ggeneration:

See, totally different, and there was other phenotypes as well.

You won't see genetic expression until there's a few generations down the road

#18 ·
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Most shrimp pattern and color genes are recessive, meaning both parents need them in order for offspring to express them. So in order for that to happen, you have to breed f1 generations together.

You won't have Bengal in f2, it'll be red tiger or tt dominated, not shared like f1.

You should keep these shrimp anyway because there's no guarantee they'refertile or free of defect either since they are a true cross breed (iinterspecies breeding)

#20 ·
F1 x F1, they weren't all clear like that, some looked like orange CRS, some looked like regular CRS, some looked like normal tts, a lot just died because of the mixture of genes didn't mash up just right...

There's a lot of variability and in genetics 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.

#21 ·
Yeah know what you mean...I used to breed painted horses a few years ago..never could tell what would come out of the pot. :icon_roll

So far I have been lucky enough to have most of them come out orange with the black/white stripes and some with spots/stripes too.

#25 ·
HAHAHAH boy you ain't kidding! What's that old saying 'I made a small fortune in horses. Problem is...I started with a LARGE fortune.' Or something like that. LOL! My husband is less than thrilled that I have another critter obsession. He married into horses...I sort a got into the shrimp last year. Another money pit but oh the fun I have! WOOT!

#28 ·
Not a problem, actually I bred some extremely fancy half-arabians that won World and Regional/National titles....very proud of myself. I also bred the 1st Palomino Anglo-Arab horse in North America. :proud:

I did make a good lot of money off my horse breeding/selling, but then the bottom dropped out of the market (cost of hay, gas for transportation, too high show fees etc) and I split with my partner, so got out of it.

I went back to breeding Bettas, then one day at an auction I saw these little red shrimps cool...bought them and that was the start of the "addiction"

Ive tried my hand at almost every type of shrimp, and lately the Taiwans are my thing...just had 10+ BKK babies that are doing real well born, so I am very excited about that.

My love was the Tiger shrimp though....from Super Tigers, Reds, TT, OEBTs to BTOEs...have them all. :icon_lol: These were not planned just a glitch in my divided tank setup...didn't know that TTs would breed with other shrimps until I found one male in with my lone Red Tiger female (was keeping her on her own till I got some more males caught out of the other tank) Too late....Cassenova TT got her first....these are her/his offspring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.