The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tear Down....

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  rossi32s 
#1 ·
I moved... I decided to do an entire rebuild of the tank. I have a few questions.

I was able to move the tank and leave my rena xp2 filled wiht water during the move.

I rinced all my flourite and save quite a bunh of plants. After filling the tnak back up i dechlorinated the water and added a bottle of bacteria.

I already have my lighting and my co2 on normal schedule.

My questions are as follows:
How long should i wait to start adding ferts?e
How long will it take for the water to babance out and the overrun algae I am seeing after 1 week to start to go away?

Scott

#3 ·
I will be faced with the "move" soon myself when I get this house. This is gonna suck ! :lol:

Its gonna take a month or 2 or 3 to get your system back in action and balanced again. Check your "new" water parameters closely, even if you are not far from original home, the differences can actually be significant.

As far as ferts go... I would watch the plants and dose when you think they need them, most plants dont like being dug up and moved and need a bit of time to adjust.
I dont think there is a tangible time frame for this. If the plants are semi-dormant from the move and not using the nutrients then the algae will definately be thankin ya for the food.

#4 ·
Buck: when I moved recently, I had no problems with new tank syndrome. The key is to keep everything "dirty". Put the plants and fish in a bucket(s) with fish water from the tank. Scoop out the substrate and put that in buckets, Do not clean Substrate. Drain the water out of the filter but do not clean the media. Just leave the wet media right in it. Move everything to the new location and setup immediately. With the exception of cloudy water, it's like the tank never even moved. This is the second time I've done this and it works like a charm. 8)

Marcel

#5 ·
What "bottle of bacteria" did you add, and might it contain a lot of ammonia? Adding ammonia to a planted tank seems to grow algae.

Some "bottles of bacteria" also have some sort of "sludge removers", maybe WetmanNY can tell us what they are, but I'd suspect that sludge and plants might be too close to the same thing in this case. Anyhow, I am reaching here... guessing, not knowing.

#6 ·
interesting thought... I added Flourish Iron and normal dosing of liquid ferts lastnight BUT.... I may have used a bottle of PMDD that the top may have been off of for a week or so.... May i possibly have evaporated water out of the bottle and overdosed the tank?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.