The Planted Tank Forum banner

SAE question

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Thomas 
#1 ·
For my new 100 gal planted tank, I bought 3 Ghost shrimps (is that = Amano shrimps?) and two Algae eaters.
At the LFS they seemed to be a little mixed up, and after looking at pictures at the web I figured I got one True SAE, and one false SAE (= Flying Fox???). I guess the "Flying Fox" is just a variety of the false SAE's.

Okay, now my observation: The Shrimps are great fun, one of them seems to be full with eggs, and sometimes they are very active. It's fun to watch them clean themselves and eat with their 4 (?) claws.

What makes me wonder is that the famous true SAE is laying apatically on the ground all day, while the "false" one is busy scrubbing leaves, glass, wood and gravel.

I suppose the true SAE is either sick or doesn't like something in my tank, but I was expecting it to be the big star of algae scrubbing...

Any ideas on how to convince Mr SAE that it is time for lunch???

:mrgreen:

#2 ·
Let's hope that the little guy is just acclimating to his new environment and will start eating soon. I'm in the midst of the laborious process of trying to motivate my lazy local fish store owners to order some SAE's for me and they simply don't want to bother with it. Be grateful you were able to find even a single specimen!

#4 ·
Yeah I will get some too, just trying to increase the bioload as slow as possible.

Just wondering what's wrong with the little guy... such a difference to the hyperactive "false" SAE, it's just laying there waiting to starve to death.

If I had something poisonous leaching into the tank I would think the shrimps would be even more affected...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.