The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mike's New 100 Gallon Journal

10K views 76 replies 16 participants last post by  Guttboy 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone!

Ok got my tank up and running and wanted to share my progress with everyone. So far running 100 gallon tank with Filstar XP3. Substrate is 1.5" of Flourite and 1.5" of Fine Gravel. Looks pretty deep when I look at other setups but we shall see. Will post some pics here once I figure out how to do that!

Going to try the Silent Cycle with this one and see how it works!

PS rinsing gravel and flourite absolutely stinks!

Regards!

#27 ·
A close up of two of the plants!!!! :D

#28 ·
Another one! :D

#29 ·
Final shot...this is from the end of the tank....not the final aquascape but this shows you some of the cloudiness from stirring up the tank a bit.

FINALLY FISH AND PLANTS!!!!!!!!!!

:D

#31 ·
Schala,

The glass shrimp around here most people use as feeder shrimp. They are good at cleaning up detritus and stuff off the bottom. They are quite small. NOW the amano shrimps at the LFS go for 6 bucks a pop...NO WAY im buying tons of them....LOL......

Mike :D

#33 ·
I think so...they are considered feeder shrimp here and are very cheap....30 cents a piece...or when you get a ton they just scoop em up and put them in the bag.

#34 ·
Picture of one of the shrimp with eggs and an otto eating some algae.

#35 ·
otto :D

#36 ·
I got pearling!!!!! Happened yesterday but thought it was a fluke...happened today too! :D :D :D

#39 ·
Kelly sorry to hear that....
Mori goldfish are out of the question....LOL

I really love the Ottos...just got home from work and couldnt find ANY :(

Oh well...upon closer observation though...they were on my Cryptocorne cordatas and GOING TO TOWN! Sometimes its hard on a big tank to find everyone...its going to be even harder when the plants get filled in!

#40 ·
UPDATE.....4 Aug 2003.....

Ok my other Filstar xp3, some test kits, thermometer for tank, CO2 reactor, regulator, bubble counter, solenoid, PH meter from Milwaukee have all arrived!!!!!!!!!

JUST LIKE CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

Anyhow...will be putting it all together here over the next couple of hours!!! Im psyched!....will keep you all updated and will show pics later tonight or tomorrow morning early.

#42 ·
Ok got the stuff in....

BTW if you order a COMBO 4 pack from Aquatic-Store you need some things before you can get it running.

1) teflon tape (to seal the threads from regulator to tank)
2) 1/4 inch tubing (to allow bubbles from counter to go to reactor)
3) extra tubing that connects to the reactor from pump and then to tank...I have an XP3 but had to go to Lowes this morning to pick up some tubing. XP3 didnt have enough.
4) screws to attach the controller to the tank stand and the reactor as well...not necessarily needed but advised.

Ok here is the setup as of this AM....It is a mess but will get it cleaned up soon.

:D

#43 ·
OK system up and running for over 24 hours now.

pH has dropped to 7.0 at night and 7.1 in day. KH is around 5 degrees. Temps range from 72 pm and 75 am.

NOTE: School of 8 White Cloud Mt Minnows have now moved from the surface to mid lefel in the tank. They like the top (MR FOOD HAND) but are now foraging in the mid levels!

Ottos are going to town....I mean when they find a leaf they like....ADIOS ALGAE!

Still have the haze in the tank....just cleaned the floss filter pads in the Filstar...will see how that goes.

The Barclaya longifolia that Roger Miller gave me I thought was toast :( OHH NOOOOO it likes the CO2 dosing! There is a flower stem in the center that is aobut 3 inches from the surface now! It has grown an inch in less than a week!!!!!! Is this possible? Am I seeing things? Amazing.

Will get some pics up soon.

#45 ·
PICS.....Ok you can see the Barc Long flower one pic is kinda bad...the others is how the Otto is going to town! Love them fish...and the other pic is of the crypto cordata that is laying down now...pearling but laying down horizontally.

mike :D

#46 ·
oops

#47 ·
Crypto laying down....

#48 ·
9 Aug Update! Been running Diatomaceous earth in the HOT MAGNUM filter for 5 hrs now...noticable difference. Also added 13 Black neons, and 20 regular neons, and 3 more ottos.

My White Clouds are schooling with the neons...how funny :lol:

did my first water change this morning as well with 20 gallons in the 100 gallon.

Here are some pics of the fishies.... :D

#50 ·
Deuce,

No nitrites....very very low between 0 and 5 ppm for nitrates...will check tomorrow but pretty sure with all the plants and filtration I need to dose some more KNO3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.