The Planted Tank Forum banner

Brush Algae

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rumples riot 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have some problems with brush algae.

To explain, I decided to plant out my Malawi cichlid tank around 3 months ago.

I have a huge range of plants, but have a terrible infestation of Brush algae that appeared before the plants were added.

My tank has Dupla CO2 injection and I am about to increase my light to 240watts.

the tank is 105g.
kh 6
ph 7.2
fe .5mg
NO3 5ppm was at 40ppm
NO2 0
NO1 0
GH 8
K .2mg
laterite balls and Flurish tabs in the Substrate.
Daily application of Dupla 24 (10 drops)

Water changes conducted weekly 30%.

Just want to know if anyone can help me get rid of this menace. I have read that after a couple of months I should see the algae disappear. Is this true? Or do I need to take another course of action?

Please help

Rumple :)

See less See more
#2 ·
If you're refering to black brush alge, I have it too and am seeking a cure also.

The worst case I've ever seen was in a LFS. They had tanks that were completely consumed by it. It took up over 50 percent of some of the tanks. Looked like they put wigs in the tanks. I asked the lady if she knew what caused and and she said she didn't have a clue. Said they had been like that for years. These tanks contained no plants and had very subdued lighting. All I could think of was over feeding but this didn't make any sense as most LFS's don't feed their fish at all much less over feed.

#3 ·
Iron at .5 ppm seems a little high. Many folks recommend about 20% that much Fe (about .1 ppm). Potassium seems a little low at .2 ppm. Many folks recommend about 10 times that amount of K (20 ppm (mg/l)). Unless you need to add Nitrate or Sulfate, you can use Potassium Chloride (water softener salt) to get your potassium levels up inexpensively - get a handfull from someone with a softner for a supply to last you for years. Be careful, they also sell Sodium Chloride for water softeners. You don't want to have Phosphate at zero, either (I don't think you mentioned that). About 1 ppm phosphate seems to help my plants out-compete algae for the other nutrients. Your bacteria colony also needs a small amount of Phosphate to survive.

You say you're increasing your light levels... What are they now?

In general, algae of any kind is an indication of an imbalance in light and / or one of several nutrients. I teetered back and forth for months before all my algae problems went away. Be patient and treat the disease (the imbalance) not the symptoms (each new algae outbreak). The patient part is the hardest for me. :) It will take 6 months or more for things to REALLY settle down in a new planted tank. This probably won't be the last algae outbreak you suffer from. Even if you do things absolutely perfectly. Some Ottos and some Amano Shrimp can help keep some of the growth in check while things settle down - and thereafer.

If I had to guess what your most significant issues were right now, I'd say too much Iron and not enough light. With too little Potassium being a secondary issue. Also, if you're going to do CO2, you need to do lots of light to go with it right from the start.

In the lighting section here - there is a sticky post at the top where a lot of folks smarter than me put together some great information on inexpensive, high output lighting solutions. It's worth a read if you haven't already.

Be patient. Make small changes. Watch what happens. Learn what your particular setup needs - and in what amounts - to be well balanced. In the short run, you'll be ready to take a hammer to the tank. In the long run, you'll be pleased with your accomplishment.

Take care...

Tim

#4 ·
Tim thanks for the comments.

Maybe I was not all that clear, phosphate is .2ppm. My Fe was read on a Sera test kit and this is supposed to be fine at .5. I don't know what my potassium is, but I use Dupla 24 Drops (10) to take care of this.

My lights are on order, as this tank was a fully setup Malawi Rock tank for about two years prior. I simply took out most of the rocks did some planting, got the CO2, put the iron balls in the substrate with flourish tabs, and built my KH. The Brush Algae was already present in the tank prior to the plant out. I have noticed that it is not able to get a hold on the newer plants, it is only staying where it was on my Universal rock backgound.

Just want to know if I just stick with this and wait, or whether I should take some action.

PS Lights will be here tomorrow, I have waited two months.

Rumple

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.