The Planted Tank Forum banner

Any good LFS in the Lehigh Valley? (ABE)

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Rush3737 
#1 ·
Anyone know of any that has a good plant selection? Seems like we have nothing left in the Lehigh Valley area except the big box stores and Something Fishy (All SW). I'm about to drop $18 for shipping from aquariumplants.com but I'd rather get something locally if possible.

#3 ·
While not exactly a LFS, That Fish Place usually has a good plant selection. They are in Centerville PA, near Lancaster PA. It's a bit of a haul for you, but doable.

You could also consider Aquarium Center in Clementon NJ. It would be about as far for you, but they also have a good plant selection.

#4 ·
I know Tanks 2 U used to have a really good reputation but they unfortunately shut down. I know a lot of people complain about chain stores, but the Petco on Lehigh Street in Allentown has always done very well by me. Much like people here the fish people there actually seem to care about the fish and have talked me out of fish instead of just getting the sale. In addition they've been able to order me some rarer Barbs that have done well in my tank.

Something Fishy has a great reputation as well, but that's only SW as was already said. I really wish they'd consider expanding into fresh as they'd probably do a great job with it.

If anyone knows of anywhere else good in the valley I'd like to know.

#6 · (Edited)
I'll definitely be using the buy and raok section a fair bit when it comes time for me to start planting my new tank!

When it comes to fish though, unless it's something pretty rare I do really like to be able to go and pick out the particular fish/fishes from the store.

#8 ·
Stopped in there today and had a nice chat with the owner. May very well be doing a large fish order with them when the time comes. It was really nice to see some different fish there and so many fish doing so well.

I have to say though, the disadvantage to a place like that was really apparent in the non-fish area. A Fluval 406 which is new for like $180 new and shipped on Amazon was selling there for $240 I believe. I love that they had SeaChem chemicals and nice supplies, but at the end of the day I can't really justify paying their prices for that stuff.

#9 · (Edited)
I guess you talked to Lee, tall skinny guy? Or Craig, the opposite?

What time were you there? I stopped by there around 6:30p.

And you're right, they have a good selection of healthy fish. That's why I keep going back.

Yeah, their pricing could use some help, but at least it's quality products. I'd rather overpay for a fluval than go to Walmart and buy junk. They run good specials every once in while, too.

#10 ·
Hah, I talked to the opposite! I was there around 4:30, so I was gone when you got there. But yeah, I can definitely see ordering fish through them, as I don't mind paying a premium for something like that. The thing about fish is quality is important, and the care that I know is taken there makes the price worth it, whereas things like filters are the exact same whether I buy from there or amazon or ebay, so no real incentive.

Still, as awesome as their order list was, there are online dealers who offer even more, so I'm still not sure which way I'll go, but I'm likely leaning towards this place.

#11 ·
I'm certainly not going to give advice on who does or who doesn't deserve any or all of your business. They are all certainly unique. Lord knows over the years I've seen some LFS that really NEEDED to close. But you may have already noticed it was tough to find a LFS in Allentown or nearby. All I suggest is that you consider some balance to where you spend your money. If a store does a great job with livestock, buying some dry goods there every so often only helps insure that the place will be around for a little longer. Spend $60 more for a Fluval? I wouldn't. But I bet if you ask, the difference may come back to something easier to swallow. It never hurts to ask.

#12 ·
Going late Tuesday to pick up an Odessa Barb, Black Ruby Barb, and to look at a Filamentosus Barb.

#13 · (Edited)
Unfortunately they weren't able to get in any of the fish I was looking for, but they did get in Neon Rosy Barbs and Checkerboard barbs, so I got one of each.

Well the checkerboard was something my gf had looked at a while back and reviewing it now I'm pretty sure they are selling another kind of barb as checkerboards, because the fish I got certainly isn't one.

Edit: Have since ID'd the fish as Puntius arulius, very cool in his own right as least.

Edit: On the other hand I was really pleasantly surprised by the Natural Pets Plus place in Quakertown. Had always overlooked the place because it looked rather iffy, but stopped by and they actually had a large selection of fish. And the guy listened to what fish I wanted and took down my name and number to call me to let me know if they get the fish in. A lot better than my experience elsewhere of: here's a list of what we can get-come in-oh we actually couldn't get 80% of what you wanted. That's not just at the place in Orefield, but was my experience at Petco and another store as well. I realize I should just know at this point to call ahead, but it's impressive to see a store being pro-active about informing customers of possible limitations.

#14 ·
Was reading this thread because just like you I am a little frustrated at the lack of stores around here. I remember when I was little there were stores everywhere, my favorite was Pro Pet I think it was called, located across from where Staples used to be in what is now Radio Shack. I'm going to have to go and check out the Quakertown place once I get my tank all settled and ready for fish (trying to do a fish-in cycle but it doesn't seem to be going as planned).

#15 ·
For what it's worth, I never did receive a call from them meaning they don't keep track of their list well or they were never able to get any of the fish in. I find the latter unlikely as one of the fish I was looking for at the time was a BN Pleco, something somewhat common. Still a nice place with a pretty good general selection though and worth the visit if you're in the area.

I think I've nailed down the root of the problem for most of the areas LFS being that they only have one supplier, and usually communication to the supplier or the supplier's abilities just aren't that good. Or maybe I'm just way overly picky/a pain in the ass. Both acceptable theories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.