The Planted Tank Forum banner

TPT Bonsai Thread! Show off your collection!

65K views 617 replies 73 participants last post by  plantbrain 
#1 ·
So a couple people were suggesting we do this. So we are :hihi:

Post pics, list species, anything special you're doing, just summarize and talk even if no one is listening, etc. :icon_lol:

I'll start.

My Chinese Elm and first bonsai. Got this guy in mid-late February of this year. I'm surprised it's fared this well with everything I've put it through. It's bouncing back though :proud:

I'll post pics of my Maple tomorrow, it's cheering up after its 2 day ride in a dark USPS box.

See less See more
#160 ·
Rule of thumb is once per day unless it's 80+ or really windy. It would really depend on the weather, tree, pot and your soil. You can stick a chop stick in the soil and leave it there. Pull it out like a dipstick and check for moisture. You'll learn really quick on it's watering needs.

I'll post an updated pic in the next day or two.

#164 ·
Also pick up the pot when you water. Get accustomed to the weight when the chopstick shows it needs watering. As well as the weight right after it watered. Once you get used to it, you should be able to tell my the weight of the pot.

I'm not sure about waterin once a day though. Unless its potted in gravel or something!

#191 ·
I will be out of town 3 weeks with nobody I can really rely on watering my 2 bonsais and the middle mini scape. What can I do? :(

Also what tree is the one in the right?
I was given this awesome tree a couple of weeks ago.

#192 ·
You use a soaker tray. About 1" or there abouts, fill with water and that will get you through a week perhaps.

Get a neighbor/friend etc to stop by and add water or make a little DIY dripper to fill once a week on a week timer or a daily timer to add water.

#200 ·
Here're a few shots. I know, there are a few things that are off, like the tree is much too tall based on its trunk diameter. The way the roots were, considering that it spent years and years unpruned inside a training pot at a nursery, made it impossible for me to use any shallower a pot. Or really smaller, for that matter. Next time I repot it I can probably decrease it again, further.

This pot is the one I wanted to use (I purposely bought both with the intention of returning whichever one I didn't use), it has a perfect, nice finish, or rather, lack thereof. However it proved impossible, maybe next time though. Patience is a very hard thing to learn...

Tell me what you guys think! The moss I just found in my yard and ended up looking quite nice, I think. Any tips or tricks on keeping the tree healthy after its repot? I'm keeping it in the shade because I've read that its roots after pruning are not as immediately effective at absorbing water, and so if you leave it in sunlight the stomata will be stimulated and opened, and apparently when the leaves' stomata are open, the tree can lose as much as 50 times more water. But I mean, that's just what I read in my book and a website.

#203 ·
Thanks man! I thought about it, however, the way those roots are situated, if you look closely, is less than convenient -- the trunk continues past that point and lower into the soil. Because it'd bees in a training pot for some eight years or so, I don't think the roots had ever been pruned, so it proved to be quite troublesome to repot.

Essentially, that main trunk turns into one main root at the bottom, and it went all the way to the bottom of the pot, where it coiled, like a snake. I had to cut it about halfway underground to fit it in this pot. Here's hoping that that did not damage it. What would happen if you removed too much root mass?

i love that bottom pot!!! although, for your tree, i would recommend a shallow oval pot! :D i LOOVVVEEE oval pots :D lol! the tree looks GREAT so far!!
Thanks! I really wanted a shallow oval pot, and maybe someday I can, but as of now it really needs a deeper pot, unfortunately. That's the only think I haven't liked about this tree so far.

---------------------------------------------------------

I will say though, that I never thought that this tree would look so good so fast. It looks so much different from what it looked like when I first got it -- and that was only 1 month and 9 days ago!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.