Looking for Java/Xmas Moss in NE Ohio
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Ohio

Old 08-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
GoKingsGo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking for Java/Xmas Moss in NE Ohio

Anyone know of stores who have in stock or anyone who is selling? I have a good sized cave that I want to cover in moss. Either java/xmas moss would work.
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Starys

Did you ever find any java or Christmas moss locally? I am in Lorain county and I have been looking too. I think I am going to have to buy some online.
(also a So Cal native, living in the Cleveland area)
Starys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
GoKingsGo
Algae Grower

Nothing. LFS' are horrible for plants. When I buy online, I usually use Live Aquaria, but they don't sell any mosses, other than the moss balls which I have bought and are good. Let me know if you see any deals online or locally.

I lived most of life in the OC, but went to college in the Bay Area. What part of So Cal are you from?
Old 09-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
Starys

Best in Pets in Elyria has some really nice plants, prices are reasonable too. I was there last weekend but I wasn't looking for moss at the time and didn't notice if they had any or not. I almost went there this evening but I was running short on time. I've had good luck with plants at Pet Supplies Plus in Elyria too, but it's hit or miss on whether or not they will have what I want. I just picked up some dwarf baby tears tonight. It wasn't what I went in the store for but it looked so nice I had to buy it.
I was actually impressed tonight in both PetSmart and Pet Supplies Plus, the people working actually knew what they were talking about, unfortunately both stores have way too many dead fish in their tanks. I only buy from them when they have fish on sale for very cheap. I picked up a couple guppies tonight, only because they were $1 and I have had good luck with my guppies from PetSmart in the past.

I am originally from San Diego, Chula Vista, to be exact, but I have lived in Ohio for over 25 years now.
Starys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
GoKingsGo
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tip on the stores in Elyria. I will have to make a trip this weekend. Impressed they had dwarf baby tears, have not seen those anywhere around here. I've had good luck with the Petco plants in tubes, but it's hit and miss whether they are just in the store or pretty much dead already. Agree a lot of the big chains locally struggle with taking care of their fish, so I have only been buying only from Aquatica in Valley City or RMS in Middleburg.

When I move back to So Cal (whenever that may be), I think I will aim for San Diego this time. Just love that city and area.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
driftingchick101
Algae Grower

Any luck with the moss hunt? I to am from NE Ohio (Perry) and have been looking. I resorted to buying some on Ebay a few days ago since I can never find any in stores and I can't justify paying $8 for a moss ball that I have to pull apart. If it weren't for their lack of plants, Aquatica would be a one stop shop. I love going there but with all 5 of my tanks packed to the max with fish all I really need now are plants :-/ Let me know if you find anything.
driftingchick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingchick101 View Post
Any luck with the moss hunt? I to am from NE Ohio (Perry) and have been looking. I resorted to buying some on Ebay a few days ago since I can never find any in stores and I can't justify paying $8 for a moss ball that I have to pull apart. If it weren't for their lack of plants, Aquatica would be a one stop shop. I love going there but with all 5 of my tanks packed to the max with fish all I really need now are plants :-/ Let me know if you find anything.
If you're still looking at the holidays let me know. I'm originally from Painesville. My mom lives in Perry/Dad in Painesville so I get up there around the holidays.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
Tavangel
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDGags View Post
If you're still looking at the holidays let me know. I'm originally from Painesville. My mom lives in Perry/Dad in Painesville so I get up there around the holidays.
Do you have anything for sale now? I'm also in dayton and am looking for some stones, driftwood, moss.
Tavangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #9
Hunter P
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/50%)

i have a butload of moss i need to get rid of. 8 dollars for a cupful, baseball size probly have 3 baseballs. shipping is 7 dollars
Hunter P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:14 AM   #10
Tavangel
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter P View Post
i have a butload of moss i need to get rid of. 8 dollars for a cupful, baseball size probly have 3 baseballs. shipping is 7 dollars
What kind of moss is it??
Tavangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 AM   #11
Oceanlab
Algae Grower

There's moss that's rolled into a ball to simulate Marimo moss balls at petco in Macedonia . I bought one today and unrolled it.. It's beautiful. $5 for a ball or $3 one a adjustable vine.
Oceanlab is offline   Reply With Quote