The Planted Tank Forum banner

First high tech

3K views 41 replies 7 participants last post by  rich_the_gamer 
#1 ·
Hi all new to forum first post.

So i just started this today. It is half walstad & half high tech (weird its an experiment) John innes aquatic compost under planted areas. Pressurised co2 and 3.5 wpg t5 lighting. Got a 9000k daylight and a "nature" spectrum tube.

Tried for a riverbed scene.

The hornwart is to outcompete algae. Not sure of the final plant list yet lots of broad leaves and HC and Dwaft Hairgrass.

See less See more
#4 ·
10 Things I have leant from this tank over a month

Firstly - it was never Hornwort it was Cabomba Carolina and with high light and Co2 and EI dosing you need to trim it DAILY!! 1 inch a day some days !!

Secondly - you should never transfer a piece of bog wood from a tank with BBA to a brand new fresh tank (I now have bits of BBA 

Thirdly – Bacterial Blooms are no fun!

Fourth – Drop checkers are late to tell you when too much C02 is in by hours!!

Fifth – Leopard Bushfish are not really suitable pets in a planted tank

Sixth – More Filtration = Better looking tank

Seventh – HC Cuba is a finnecky plant! Now in direct flow hoping it works better

Eighth – When making a hardscape leave yourself some room to plant, and make sand beds deep enough to plant stuff in!!

Ninth – 2 Year olds in the same room as a tank = Sticky fingers on glass and tank slapping daily

Tenth – EVEN A LITTLE DIRECT SUN WILL RUIN EVERYTHING!!

#19 ·
Plants stop using light after about 8 or so hours. You could develop some algae problems down the road. I personally keep my lights on from 12-4pm and 8pm-12am.

It's really your personal preference how long and when you keep the lights on; but having the lights on for 10+ hours could definitely set you up for algae problems later.

Algae eaters help tremendously.. However, they don't completely prevent outbreaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·

Day one to 5 months on

Sorry been away for a while but this is latest shot hope anyone still following likes it :)

Been on holiday for a week too so no ferts or co2 for 8 days! Hc held up well bit worse for ware but its ok also it was in the shade as plants had gone nuts had to do major trim

#35 ·
Looks good! I appreciate your persistence in continued posting of updates.

I think I can see from the picture the algae appears to have receded for the most part. Did you change any of your tank conditions (lighting, ferts, CO2) or is it just the plants fully growing in?

#38 ·
I blocked side that got sunlight with some plastic bag. I shortened photo period and got some siamese algae eaters for the bba. Now I just get the green algae on the glass which I dont know how to stop but I just clean the front glass and leave it growing on the back and sides. All the real ugly algae is gone though :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.