The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA stand build

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Green_Flash 
#1 ·
Good Morning Guys and Gals,
I’m in the initial stages of building an ADA style stand for a 90-H. [censored]Couple of questions: [censored]First, does anybody know if Jason Balaban is still active on any of these forums? With his DIY ADA stands he used Formica laminate. [censored]I plan on doing the same. [censored]In some of the photos of his handwork I can’t tell whether he used a flush-bit laminate bit or a bevel-edge laminate bit. [censored]I have never seen an actual ADA store bought stand in person so I don’t have a frame of reference there either. [censored]Second, I plan on spraying the interior compartment with paint. [censored]However, in all of my limited painting adventures it always seems that the darn primer often looks better than the paint itself. [censored](for having that neutral, low gloss or no gloss look). [censored]Can anybody recommend a proven water resistant primer that can be purchased in spray can form?
[censored]
Thanks Much!
Greg

#2 ·
[censored]Are you having a bad day?

As I recall he only used straight trim bits. My experience with laminating formica is that the straight bits work great for that.

Any spray can paint, as long as it isn't shellac based, is water resistant. We don't need epoxy paint for the very limited amount of water splashing we run into, so that lets us use just about anything else. But, you can get epoxy paint in spray cans too.

#4 ·
However, in all of my limited painting adventures it always seems that the darn primer often looks better than the paint itself.
You can have primer tinted where ever they do color matching. It may not be precise, as the tint bases characteristics are programed into the color matching machines, but it can be close.

As to spraying it, look for a Jennican or a rechargeable spray can.
Harbor Freight's model is this one.
http://images.harborfreight.com/manuals/1000-1999/1102.pdf

Here is another type
http://www.amazon.com/Spra-Tool-Aerosol-Spray-Paint-Gun/dp/B003THDCJ2/ref=pd_sim_auto_7

White foam paint rollers do a great job of putting paint on very evenly and essentially flat. Some times better than a spray job would be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.