Tetra ht10 heater
dual sponge bio-filter (coming)

Hardscape:
various rocks
cholla wood

plants:
crypts
java fern
needle leaf java fern (if it survives. came out of the box a mess)
micro sword
java moss

animals:
MTS and pond snails
CHERRIES (not here yet)

See less See more
#28 ·
Past few days have been pretty good with the new shrimp! I've had a few deaths but things overall are going well.
I found hydra today though, and I have some fairly small juvies. This may be why some of the small guys have died?
Regardless, I have fenbendazole on hand, so I dosed about(meaning what looked like) 100mg.
Will keep updated. There weren't many hydra that I could see, so I'm hoping this one dose will take care of it.

#30 ·
yes update!

You'll actually see my new planted plus here, but before I installed it (so what you have seen up until now) is two 14w 5000K CFLs

Now, I tried to make a DIY cover using garden bird fencing and it looks kind of silly, and I don't know if it will deter shrimp from jumping. I see that a ton of people on here have no covers for shrimp, so I may go that route. I know this bird fence stuff will work for my betta tank, but this one, Idk.

Anyways, here is a new picture with the finnex planted plus. I love this light.
New shrimp are being shipped to me on Monday. Since I added the baking soda, I have had no deaths. I think the pH swings were the culprit, which the baking soda sufficiently stopped.

#38 ·
made some changes:

got rid of a few of the cholla woods and got rid of a ton of algae. Moved the sponge filter to the back and put the java fern in the holes of the cholla wood.

I'm seeing more of the shrimp, more activity. I think they like it?

#44 ·
Well ...
I hated the messy look I had going. My moss had SO MUCH algae. I wanted a minimal look, easy to clean. I saw a goldfish tank that had white sand, pond stone and no plants that I used as inspiration sort of.

I'm hoping this set up will be better. The sand I bought says easy to siphon so that's hopefully a plus.

My sponge filter still has the algae so that'll be good for the shrimpies.

Here's a new picture (clear but with tannins)

#51 ·
Hi! Yes update time!

I've been having some issues maintaining stability and such with this tank. I've been working very hard to fix problems. Random shrimp deaths may have been attributed to copper pipes in my house, leaching copper into my tap. I added Cuprisorb. Switched to Seachem Replenish from Ultimate GH Booster for easy of dosing and I'm unsure if I like it yet. Can't figure out why my TDS is over 300, but I'm monitoring other parameters and trying to maintain stability rather than an exact TDS. Also, ordered BorneoWild Shield to help with the random deaths, hopefully promoting better immune systems.

Whoever thought cherry shrimp were easy :|

Update shot:

The corkscrew vals on the right side are sending runners all over!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.