The Planted Tank Forum banner

my 55

891 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Raymond S. 
#1 ·
My 55 gallon with pressurized co2, ei dosing, 1 36" Marineland led plant fixture and 1 single bulb.

Lots of plants from members here,pet smart, eBay and the LFS.

4 long skirted tetras, 2 angels and 1 oto.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Look like a good variety of plants. A 55 is hard to make look great with plants as it was designed when aquariums were "fish tanks".
You said a single bulb...in one of those aquarium light strips ? A T8 I guess ?
Zoo Med has a 6500K bulb(may be 6700K) called an "Ultra sun". Does the bulb go end to end as in 48" long ? That plant on the end behind the wood may not want to stay red at the top if it's not closer to where it would get more light. If that happens the plant in the center, the Wisteria, might do better in that corner if you swapped them.

#7 ·
Look like a good variety of plants. A 55 is hard to make look great with plants as it was designed when aquariums were "fish tanks".

I'd have to disagree with this I've seen many 55's that looked amazing. One of the reasons I went with a 55gallon instead of a 40b is I like the height and I don't mind sacrificing the width since I want smaller fish anyways.

This tank is nice looking and given time to fill in I believe will look very good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I'd have to disagree with this I've seen many 55's that looked amazing. One of the reasons I went with a 55gallon instead of a 40b is I like the height and I don't mind sacrificing the width since I want smaller fish anyways.

This tank is nice looking and given time to fill in I believe will look very good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I stand corrected...and BTW sir I did not say they all looked bad. I said hard to make look great. So those which are so are a tribute to their owners.
I too wanted a 55 for the height. I've had 10g tanks for 5 years now because the place that I'm staying required a $350 "Pet Deposit" if any over that were had by a tennent. Imagine my response when I finally did find $350 in "extra" money that I could use for this and when I talked to them about it, they informed me that due to a rules change..they no longer allowed ANY over 10g. And I know this was not in a 55g tank but if you will move the slide bar to 5:40 on the video you will see my favorite tank
which I like the roots hanging down in so I intended to duplicate that look
but with much less depth than they used...but I still needed the height to do it with. The one I like starts at 5:47
Once again I did not mean to imply that you could not make a 55g tank look good at all...just more of a challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsa8VhLGh2s

#5 ·
You shouldn't be lacking for light then(at the ends I mean) and if anything may be a bit high on it. You'll know soon enough after you use both fixtures of 48".
If algae does happen, it isn't necessarilly from too much as new tanks with just started plants often get it. Just using the LED till the plants get growing well may solve it
completely if it does get some algae.

#8 ·
The extra 12" of light bar will mostly only make a difference on the ends
and those plants that are there. But the way you have the lights timed
is probably the best arrangement you could have done/w them to simulate
real life conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.