The Planted Tank Forum banner

75g Community Tank

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Haikon 
#1 ·
So this is my first post on TPT forums. I've been lurking for a while, picking up tips and hints. I've been practicing the Walstad method on a couple of smaller tanks. I found this 75 gal tank on CL for next to nothing. I was looking for a 55 but this one came along and I couldn't pass it up.

I used Styrofoam to build up my hills to cut down on weight and cost. lol, I hope this works. I picked the rocks up at a local landscaping store. I'm pretty happy with the hardscaping at this point. Now it's time to buy the plants. This is a low tech tank. I'm thinking Java Ferns in the cracks between the larger rocks. Something tall for a background, Vals? I'm gonna try and make a carpet from Java Moss with some yarn grid thingy I picked up from Hobby Lobby.

I'm open to some suggestions about where to go with it.

I thought this rock was pretty cool. Then I washed it.................It looks freakin awesome when it's wet. The black is 100 shades darker.

Filled in the terraces with some leftover gravel.

Lots of places to plant :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Lookin' good! Nice tank start, I like the seiryu stone scape. Love the depth and path you got there. Awesome pics.

Anyhow, welcome to ThePlantedTank!

Nice to meet ya, Haikon.

#4 ·
Most of my plants came in today so as soon as I got home from work, I got busy plantin.

I need to do some work on my sand that moved a bit during filling, but overall I'm pretty stoked so far. Got some Java Moss on the way to make a carpet up front but now I'm kinda thinking maybe not. Any thoughts?

#5 ·
Nice work!
I would use Vals in one back corner to hide the filter tubing. The Ambulia at the back center will grow to the top and then some, making a nice contrast with Vals.

Check out Blyxa Japonica - I think it will look good front left and right in the black substrate. Red tiger lotus is hard to beat for color in a larger lower light tank.

I would also suggest a black or mirror colored background - it's amazing how it makes tanks look larger and deeper and more vibrant.

Not sure you will like you multiple layered substrate long term - it will get all mixed up over time. Keeping the white sand white is a job in itself.

Welcome to TPT and keep those pictures coming.

v3

#7 ·
I'd check your tap and tank gh and kh. I've gotten simular rock, sometimes called shrimp rock or zebra rock, it leeches magnesium like crazy and jacked my already high gh off the charts. Sadly I could not use them since they made the gh so high.

#8 ·
Looks really nice. The overhang of that back right rock creates a great effect I think. Gonna look great as it fills in with plants.

Personally I wouldnt do java moss, it can get quite messy. I'd look at maybe some low-growing Crypts for the foreground (wendtii perhaps)

Agree w/OVT on a dark background. It can be as simple as a couple sheets of black poster board. It will really make a big difference.

#9 ·
Ok now I have a question. I'm sure there is a section for this somewhere in the forums but I'm too lazy to look lol. I'm using an API Filstar XP (M) for my canister filter. I could easily see that I needed more water movement, so I stopped by a small, but close LFS and picked up a Marineland Maxi-jet 600. Just looking at the plant movement, I feel like I've gotten too much pump with the laminar setup. Plus, there is no hiding this beast mounted on the side of my tank lol. So, Should I just go back and pick up a smaller power head, or is this amount of water movement needed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.