The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tuan's 7g rimless journal

3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  tankaddict 
#1 ·
Well after a good 2 month of growth and pictures my gf manage to delete all of them before i could upload.. so I have very few pictures of the starting process. all these pics came from my phone. so they are not the best quality. The initial start up i had tons of BGA and had to dose the tank for 5 days with maracyn. currently the tank does have a bit of fuzz algae but has been going away with dosing of PO4.BGA has came back but are dying again from added nitrated.

Specs
- 7 gal rimless
-36 watt archaea 10k bulb
-diy pressurized co2 2.5 lb

- hydor prime 10 canister filter
- ADA AS
-ADA Japanese wood

Plants
-HC
-Dwarf hairgrass
-java moss
-peacock moss
-flame moss

Fish
- CPD (2 females 1 male)
- 1Otto
-1 male scarlet badis
- 3-4 RCS
-6 CRS (maybe 5 now haven't seen the 6th in awhile)

jan 14

feb 4

feb 8

feb 9

feb 24 HC starting to melt
2/27

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#7 ·
Juicy! Nice tank bro! Is this a Miracle Baby?

Do you have juvenile CPD's? I hear they're shrimp hungry, as are the Scarlet Badis, or do you just feed them well? How do the baby shrimp do? Survival of the fittest?

Post more shots of your setup! Interested in how the Hydor Prime does. Haven't been able to locate the filter or the media outside of ebay.

Keep it up! :)

#8 ·
Yep, its a miracle baby.Once the my crs is around 3 weeks pregnant I remove all the fish except the otto into a heavy planted 4 gal moss and elodea bucket till the shrimps hatch and get to a good size. As for the hydor prime, it works great! super quiet. If you happen to go to sacramento, you need to visit jo jo aquarium. Andy is a nice guy and has the miracle baby and hydor primes. The shop actually have a lot of ADA stuff that are hard to find. Ask him to give you a deal on stuff and he will.

#15 ·
There are aquarium chillers, like this
http://www.marinedepot.com/chillers_coolworks_microchiller-ap.html
but are very expensive.

Another alternative is to get a fan to blow across the water surface.
I like hi tech but chillers are too hardcore for me; eventually it would happen but not right now. I got the 2028 to keep the tank at 73 degrees now. All I did was remove half the Eheim Ehfisubstrat. Anyways will post some pic update tomorrow if I can or even tonight if I'm not feeling lazy.

#17 ·
The mesh should not be a problem, but in the long run, you might be happier with the results if you place the MP directly onto the surface on which you'd like it to grow. MP is a wonderful plant in that its growth characteristic is very organic and by placing it directly on an object, it grows in unexpected and sublimely natural ways.
For example, attach it to the diagonally-swooping branch that looks like a snake head in the center of your tank and you'll see it fan outwards, creating a awning of sorts, as well as creep up the wood. It does cool stuff like that.

#18 ·
Ah, thanks for the input Ugly Genius. I never had MP before, now that you said that I will probably replace the java moss on the branches. Currently It is sitting on the substrate and looks like a bush by the "tree". I'll get some fishing line and try to attach it later this week. Its really a pain to attach mosses underwater and in tight spaces >.<

#19 ·
Well I lied about saying i'll update lol. I feel that its not all that different from the last time I updated and the water is a bit cloudy because I just fiddled with the filter. Hairgrass is growing in nicely so as of the last update so has the flame moss. I'm actually thinking of replacing all the java moss when the flame moss grows a bit more. And I did'nt mention before that I have some java moss attached to some petrified wood its also filling in nicely and rounding out. I'll keep trimming to make it more bushier. I'll post pics by the end of this weekend unless you guys want to see it earlier then maybe on thursday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.