The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planting plants.. quick q :)

990 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Georgiadawgger 
#1 ·
Hey guys;

I've ordered a good bunch of plants, and they should come in today (Friday). In the past, with my Petsmart plants, I'd just plant the entire bunches together, just how petsmart gave them to me.

Should I plant each stem individually? Or can I plant the bunches together in the same "hole"?

Also, I just want to make sure, is it common for plants to have some "death" when put into a new tank, but then to grow back ok? (I think I read this, but I'm not sure.)

Also, I have some plants that say CO2 isn't required, but would really help (Rotala magenta, Hemianthus m., ?tiger lotus?), right now I have two hagen CO2 systems hanging on the tank putting in CO2. It's a 55g aquarium. I have already ordered a pressurized CO2 system, I'm just waiting on the tank. The tank *could* be here today, or monday. (*supposidely* it shipped Monday from California UPS ground to Louisiana). Will the plants be ok without decent CO2 for a few days?

Also, I am pretty busy today, but I don't want my plants to die! Is it OK if I just plant them in the tank, but then not aquascape it, just plant them and make sure they are getting light, and then move them later?

Thank you guys! I'll post pics of my plants as soon as I get them in and in the water.

AYCHAMO

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe someone can post that helpful link about planting type of plants...

As far as what I do, I actually plant one stem at a time. If they are a thin stem plant I put them pretty close together to get that "bushy" look. It may look funny in the beginning, but over time it will "fill in" and get that bushy look you're looking for. If you plant the entire bunch (i.e. Petsmart style) then the bottom leaves and the ones in the center of the bunch will rot off.

As far as Rotala magenta...isn't that a high light plant? correct me if I'm wrong.

A good pair of forceps will make life a lot easier...shoot I've even used chopsticks before I got my long forceps.

#4 ·
When I'm doing tank maintenance or aquascaping, it's not uncommon for me to leave some of my plants (primarily stem plants -- I try to keep rooted plants planted) floating for a week or so at a time. I've done this several times over the past few weeks since I've been putting together my planted tanks (this is without CO2 as well) and they do fine, growing and everything. I think you'll probably be alright, for the most part. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.