The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tankmates for Betta?

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Elliriyanna 
#1 ·
I have just one Betta boy in a 5 gallon hex I plan to plant soon.

I was just wondering if anything could live with him ... Its not a big deal if they can't I Just thought it might be interesting my bright blue/green boy with a little " friend"

#2 ·
large amano shrimps. RCS sometimes; i wouldnt risk it. i had one betta die, choked on a RCS he tried to swallow whole. snails.
there are fish that can do fine with bettas, but they are schooling fish, and your tank isnt big enough for a school of them and a betta.

#4 ·
I wouldn't want to try a school with him I really want him to be the centerpiece :) Would an Apple Snail be ok? They come in some pretty colors and I believe I have ample filtration.

#7 ·
What would I need to Feed the snail? Any brands you guys like? I only feed Finn Omega one ... Would Hikari Algae wafers be ok?

#11 ·
my betta sorority has a nerite. never fed him, and i had him for over a year.
it also has a colony of RCS, but its got tons of moss, so thats the only way some shrimplets make it. the girls ignore the adults completely though. but like i mentioned in my earlier post, that is not always the case, and can end badly.

#14 ·
i wouldnt bother in a five gallon it will only end in heartbreak, but every betta is different they say. if you do try it keep the betta in another container for a few days then add him to the tank with his new friend already there. i would only try snails or shrimp. i had a betta that forced 4 cherry shrimp to jump out of the tank in suicide. I think the best tankmates are those that have 'play dead' defences like banjo catfish and khuli loaches but youll need 15g for them and plenty hiding spots.

#16 ·
i am going to go with a snail if anything ... i dont want risk a school if he is aggressive and i am not a loach fan and this is the only tank i can have

#19 ·
I house my Betta with a group of 5 White Cloud Minnows in a 10g tank. His personality isn't very predatory so he ignores them for the most part. My WC Minnows love the current my filter produces and show no interest in the Betta. On occasion he will chase them if they get too close. I have some floating plants and some Wysteria to give the fish something to hide in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.