The Planted Tank Forum banner

8 Gallon Nano Tank

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  koiboi 
#1 ·
This is my first tank (planted) and i have a few questions,

What are the best plants to use as a beginner?

Should i buy bunched plants or potted?

How many plants do i need to encompass an 8 gallon? (12 inches tall, 12 inches wide, and 9 inches thick)

Please and thank you for yalls help!

Matt

#2 ·
There are many plants that aren't as finicky that can be considered good for beginners but more importantly each has a different lighting requirement. Can you provide more details on your setup?
All of my LFSs sell bunched plants, but I can't really think of any major advantages of bunched over potted or vice-versa.
The number of plants all depends on how dense of a planted feel you want and on the specific plants themselves as they all grow vertically/horizontally to different extents and their growth rates also vary. It also depends if you will have any driftwood or rocks as that will take up space where you can't place plants but will also provide spaces for certain plants to grow on.

#4 ·
Anubias , java fern and mosses all make a low tech tank "pop" and can look just as good as any high tech tank .

#10 ·
Evolve 8's are awesome, I have two of them. The one in my daughter's room has cherry shrimp, chili rasboras and otos. Plants are java fern, java moss, dwarf sag, and a nice crypt wendtii. They are thriving on the stock light and pool filter sand with Jobe's plant spikes buried in it. I stuffed the sump with bio media, and cut a piece of plastic needlepoint mesh to cover the skimmer intake and keep my shrimplets out. I just set up the second in my office today. Side note, I'm not sure why they are called Evolve 8 because once set up they barely hold 5gallons of water (I measured that today when I filled it up) and that includes what is in the filter. Have fun they are great little tanks for low tech!

#12 ·
This is my first tank (planted) and i have a few questions,

What are the best plants to use as a beginner?

Should i buy bunched plants or potted?

How many plants do i need to encompass an 8 gallon? (12 inches tall, 12 inches wide, and 9 inches thick)

Please and thank you for yalls help!

Matt
An Aqueon 8 = 13 x 13 x 14 inches

You tank is 5.5 gallons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.