The Planted Tank Forum banner

3.5G Betta Paludarium for my Office

20K views 129 replies 15 participants last post by  Basil 
#1 · (Edited)
History of Tank

The 3.5G is a rimless rectangular tank with black silicone. I bought it in early 2011 to house a half-moon betta. Went for a short vacation, came back home and there he is lying dry on the floor... :eek:

Then i decided to start a shrimp tank. I had a couple of danios from my 10g, so I temporarily put them in the tank after to help with the cycling. Have been rearing Cherry red shrimps for a months plus, then I realized how heavy maintenance it is to have a cherry shrimp. A little shift in water conditions, and they molt, if they're not ready to molt, they'll die molting. Also, I was having trouble to get some MALE shrimps to get them to breed. All I got from LFS seems to be female eventhough the shopkeeper says they are male..

But, Whatever, Now, I have a pretty betta in there. I haven't chose a name for him yet. I'll let my kid choose it for me later.

Current Spec:
3.5G.
Hob Filter
No CO2, No Ferts
Ikea Lamp with CFL bulb.
ADA Soil Amazonia
Ambulia
Bacopa
Rotala of some sort
Couples of DW that looks like a sunken ship!

Current Condition of the tank

See less See more
#114 ·
Looking sweet man. How long did it take you to set up that new paludarium (not sure either lol). I see you got rid of the DIY filter output and just have it hit them rocks haha. So how much water is in there you think? ~1G or so?

And yes, anubias can be grown emersed so you'll be fine.

#116 ·
THANKS!! :)
Just took me about 4-5 hours to do it. Yeah the filter output is out and imade it into a waterfall of some sort. The water is probably 1g yeah.. But I am glad I finally can use back the rock that I bought for my 12.5g and the big piece DW. I still want to add some more pebbles (smaller ones) at the bottom and do some scaping for it. Probably get some more mysterious small plants outside my house lol.

Looks great! Nice job!

Just to answer your questions, a paludarium is a type of vivarium. A vivarium is a pretty broad term given to terrariums, aquariums, etc.
Thanks for checking out my tank. I see, ok thanks for that clarification on paludarium. :)

#115 ·
Looks great! Nice job!

Just to answer your questions, a paludarium is a type of vivarium. A vivarium is a pretty broad term given to terrariums, aquariums, etc.

#118 ·
i like it.

the terms are all latin: viv- life, terra- earth, aqua- water, palus- swamp, arium- cage/container
a vivarium is a container for living things, and includes terrariums (earth dwelling things), aquariums (water dwelling organisms), and paludariums (semi-terrestrial things).

#120 ·
I notice some tiny planaria in my tank now.. Probably due to the recent bulldozing of the substrates. Did another WC. Betta didn't even see the tiny planaria otherwise he'd already ate them all.

I am going to setup some small pots attached to the tank wall. Seems there aren't enough plants in this tank.

Pics soon..!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.