The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 minute before showtime!

762 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Shovelman 
#1 ·
Allright guys and gals! Need some final opinions for all the products im thinking of purchasing so i can transform my 20 gallon tall into an amazon biotype wonderland! Here is what im thinking about purchasing-

Co2 injection: I would like to do paintball as fill ups are cheap (anyone have any idea how long a 24oz might last?), so i was looking for all the parts when i came accross this guy http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/s...8487-fs-new-paintball-co2-setup-complete.html
Does his co2 package seem fine? I mean youve got the needle valve, on off valve with the gauge, and if you want you can get a diffuser from him as well. All that seems to be needed is the paintball canister!

Gravel/substrate: Id probably go with the aquarium plants.com own substrate they make, heres the link http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshwater_Aquarium_Plant_Substrate_p/ss.htm I'd probably do the black color and probably the 3gallon bucket, if thats an appropriate amount of gravel. Plus you get a free bucket!

And finally. lighting! I was thinking Hagen Glo T5 HO Marine Lighting System, of course the 24'' model, and probably the two bulb for some sunshine over that tank of mine! Heres a link to the specifics: http://www.marineandreef.com/Hagen_Glo_T5_HO_Marine_Lighting_System_24_inch_p/rhg13910a.htm
If two bulbs is overkill, as ive never dealt with high output t5's before, I will either take out a bulb and replace it with a low wattage bulb that has a more suited spectrum for showing the colors of the fish instead
(if the fixture will be able to do so).

So thats my plan of transforming my 20G tall aquarium into the centerpeice open top aquarium of my dreams! Any feedback relating to the products/equipment would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for replying so fast! Im not too familiar with all the types of valves and such, nor am i familiar with the pressure capabilities of these parts. For right now though, could that co2 set up hes selling hold and use a 24oz tank of paintball co2? Im going to do my best to learn about the basics of pressure and such (havent gotten there in school yet...still in bio...haha) because i know it could potentially be dangerous if you accidental do this or that without knowing...

lol so basically could the on off valve work with the 24oz co2 bottle? Or is it more of the fittings size that connects the peices together?

#4 ·
It's $38.00 for a system that uses a coarse, water grade needle valve, and no solenoid. For $79.00 you can get a system with a preset needle valve and a solenoid to conserve gas at night, automatically.
http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-Regul...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1303512927&sr=8-1

Yes paint ball tanks are inexpensive to refill, but my 20lb. tank costs less than $25.00 to swap out. If you must use paint ball tanks, an adapter that will fit a standard regulator setup, is approximately $15.00.

#5 ·
In the short term, paintball is cheaper. In the long run, a full-size cylinder and regulator are cheaper. They're also easier to fine-tune, and you can use a solenoid. Assuming you leave the paintball on 24/7, the math with a 24oz paintball tank works out to having to refill somewhere around ten times vs. once for a 5lb cylinder (do the math, I'm not making that up).

As for the lighting, that would work. I think it's on the expensive side, and is high light, and the bulbs it comes with are unsuitable for freshwater (stick with 6500 to 10000K), but with CO2 you might be allright. Check the PAR sticky in the lighting forum to see how high you'd want to raise it.

Substrate is overrated, but that's a good one, and fairly cheap vs. the brand-name substrates. 3gal should definitely cover it.

#6 ·
Wow you folks really get on things here! haha I cant tel you all how appreciative i am of your responses!

First off i didnt notice that i posted the link of the marine version as i meant to get the freshwater version which is here: http://www.marineandreef.com/Hagen_Glo_T5_HO_Freshwater_Lighting_System_24_inch_p/rhg13910b.htm
I like how it allows you to supposedly "angle the fixture" so i can direct light a bit different than just overhead.

As far as the co2 injection goes, im REALLY digging the price of that regulator and solenoid valve! So all id need if i was to purchase that combo would be the co2 hosing, drop checker and fluid (theres a guy on here i wish to support by buying his), needle valve (can be found at homedepot?), diffuser, and of course the actual tank? Anything im missing parts wise? Obviously id like to keep it cheap as far as this set up goes (the lights and gravel are going on the bday list haha). And will that regulator on the link posted above be suitable for a 20lb canister? The reason i ask is id rather pay more at once for a larger canister of co2 rather than paying more frequently, and im pretty sure a 20lb would last quite a while longer for a 20 gallon, rather than a 24oz bottle of paintball co2. Thanks once again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.