The Planted Tank Forum banner

The official EDGE thread

1M views 2K replies 489 participants last post by  DWPC 
#1 ·
I thought I would start this thread in order to share information, ideas and pictures that pertain specifically to the "FLUVAL EDGE" such as lighting, heating, filtration, stocking, etc.

Brian.

- Inspired by architectural styling, the EDGE aquarium, a 23 L (6 US Gal), 6 sided closed top glass aquarium, 3 dimensional water cube provides a unique visual effect capturing emotion and serenity within a contemporary setting.
- Provides high definition viewing from every angle
- Sealed glass top provides high definition viewing and reduces evaporation for less maintenance.
- Retractable halogen lighting system, suitable for aquatic plants and casts a unique shimmering effect.
- Removable cover for easy aquarium and filter access
- Overhead ventilation grill dissipates lamp heat and avoids moisture
- Powerful easy to use EDGE filter with 3 stage filtration to ensure clear water and a healthy environment.
- Overall dimensions: 36.5cm H x 43cm W x 35cm D
- Tank Dimensions: 22.4cm H x 43cm W x 26cm D

See less See more
#3 ·
My LED's finally came in yesterday! We'll see if they are enough to keep my Java fern, anubias, and Java moss alive! Here is a comparison between the stock and LED lights. I bought a wallmart aquarium 10w light that I'm going to use with the LED's. I'll post pictures of it tonight when I get it all hooked up.

Here is a LED vs Stock comparison.

(my moss just came in so it has a little brown still.....and my tank is a little cloudy from rescaping last night)
Stock

LEDs

#4 · (Edited)
A few of my upgrades thus far...

LED replacement lights...

Upgraded canister filter, squeezes into the filter housing...
ZooMed 501 filter...

heater...hydor mini submersible...which fits right inside the supplied HOB filter...I should also mention, I'm using the 15W version rated for 5-10G. tanks, It looks the same but is slightly larger than the 7.5W 2-5G. version...

Also running a 10pound high pressure CO2 system with a glass diffuser...

#69 ·
A few of my upgrades thus far...

LED replacement lights...

Upgraded canister filter, squeezes into the filter housing...
ZooMed 501 filter...

heater...hydor mini submersible...which fits right inside the supplied HOB filter...

Also running a 10pound high pressure CO2 system with a glass diffuser...
I picked up one of these Edge tanks for my daughter. I've upgraded it with the LED lights you posted. I still need to get a heater. Will the hydor mini heater maintain a decent temperature in these tanks? And did you have to remove the media to fit it in the filter?

Thanks

#6 ·
... to bad about the pricetag.

They're not cheap, I bought mine for about $190CAD when they first came out, then a week after they went on sale for $130...Needless to say I went back to the shop I bought mine from with receipt in hand, they had no issue with refunding the difference which made my day...I was even going to buy another at that price but they were sold out :frown:

#23 ·
View attachment 16069

Can somebody identify the plants shown in the attachment for The Edge. I really like the simplicity and would like to replicate it. Thanks.

Looks like Pygmy chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus) and dwarf hair grass (Eleocharis parvula)...

I'd like to go and buy another tomorrow and try some DHG and C. wendtii...but me thinks my wife would loose it if I started another tank...

#10 ·
Well, I finally got my lighting all figured out! I added a 10w Walmart aquarium bulb to my LED for some extra power for the plants. Man oh Man does the tank look awesome with the lights on now! :bounce: We'll see how the plants do with the lighting I am running. Now it's time to start making the inside of the tank look cool! Thanks to everyone that helped with suggestions.

(I assure you that the tank looks waay better in person. The camera captured the lights a little bit weird!)
A few pictures of the setup:
the fixture

turned on underneath

and the FTS with all the lights on

#15 ·
added a 10w Walmart aquarium bulb to my LED for some extra power for the plants.
I'm betting you can grow the plants you have with no problem !!! Great lighting solution to a really tight spot.

I have one 5-watt LED on my 2 gallon pico and the Anubias Nana Petite & Patamogeton gayi are both growing really well & the HC is even staying alive.

Rick

#12 ·
I ordered these LED's from e-bay for $13 each you can find them by searching for "Brightest MR11 12 V 10 SMD LED White 160 Lumen Wide Ang":

Or you can get them from their website direct. www.ledwholesalers.com

For the 10w light I added today, I bought a base for a light bulb at home depot for $3. I cut the socket portion of an extension cord off and wired it to the bulb base. I got the bulb at walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10448675

And then zip tied it all to to the stock light fixture as seen in the pictures above. I put some aluminum foil under half the cover so the light doesn't shine through the top. So I'm working with about 14watts of light total. I have both sets of lights timed to be on at the same time for 10hours a day. If I start getting algae growth then I'm going to cut back the 10w for a little bit halfway through the day.....etc. I'll keep everyone updated how it works.:thumbsup:

#18 ·
When this concept first came out, I predicted it would fail due to inaccessibility (the tiny hole) and the inability to upgrade lighting. Well, so far one of those points is out the window, I really didn't expect anyone to start DIY'ing one of these. We'll see how accessibility works out in the long run, seems like it might be an extra hassle to clean this thing, but I have only seen it in person once, yet. I did notice it had some decent dark spots all around, but that was stock lighting. Anyway, good job on the upgrades, guys, and good luck with the new tanks. :thumbsup:

#22 ·
Oh mygod, I love the light you added! Now I'm all excited! I'm going to be getting one of these for my CPDs, Deky Creek, and three Crystal red shrimp. I'm just drooling over these tanks! Now I know how to solve the low light problem. HUGS!!!

#24 ·
My hubby is about to leave me for buying so many tanks. Giggle. He's very against me getting this tank...but that's not going to stop me. Heehee.

I just brought in a 45 and a 30 to add to the 3 and the 10.

#32 ·
Hmmm. Seeing as how the thread was just posted only a couple of days ago, I'm going to have to wait some time before I'm convinced that the stock halogen lighting will do any good. But nonetheless, he did an awesome job of scaping that tank! It's almost as if that scape wouldn't even look right in a "normal" tank.

I definitely like these tanks, but for now, not with their stock lighting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.