The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY Stand - Leak - Spill Protection

9K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  kdv9tb 
#1 ·
After a 5 year lapse I've decided to start up a planted aquarium again. My previous aquarium was located in a basement area where minor leaks or spills were not a concern. This one will be located in a carpeted area so I was wonder for a DIY stand what provision do you design in to reduce the effects of a minor leak or spill.

#2 ·
In my case, I have chosen to do nothing but wait and see. My efforts to save carpeting have been mixed. Water is almost always spilled at some point. Sometimes quite a lot so that it runs under the tank stand. When it stays there the carpeting rots. But when stands are built up on legs it concentrates all the weight in the four spots and those will cut down into the carpeting. The carpeting is going to be mashed totally flat when you move the tank. When tanks stay for more than a year or so, the color underneath in not the same as the rest of the room.
What I find is that there is no practical way around these things so I go with waiting until I move and deal with the problem then. If a section has to be cut out and repaired, it is often true that the carpeting in the whole room needs to be replaced to make the house sell best.
Meanwhile I do keep a small water alarm under the stand to minimize the damage from any leaks. I call it $12 of insurance to make me sleep better.

#4 ·
I recently set up a large sumped aquarium on a custom stand. The aquarium has a 2.5" lip all the way around it to help protect from drips. I just wipe them up after doing maintenance. Inside the stand I added a raised tray-like bottom and sealed it with silicone and waterproof paint. That way any water that is splashed or dripped inside the stand will not get out and onto the carpet.

It wouldn't save me if more than 10 gallons or so got loose, but you've probably got bigger problems at that point. :D

#7 ·
Depending on what the room is like, you may be able to build a shallow tray to help contain water.

I'm doing this, partly because I told my landlord I would, and also partly just incase.

For a 10/20 gallon, I've got a ~2ftx3ft piece of plywood, with 2x6 walls, and pvc shower liner in it. The aquarium is surrounded by plants and other stuff, so the basin doesn't really show too bad.

I think a 4'x8' with 2x4 walls will hold something like ~60 gallons.

#8 ·
If you build a 4'x8' catch basin under the stand, how do you ensure that the catch basin doesn't leak when you finally need it? Glass tanks are almost 100% safe from leaks, but a wood basin, with a liner, or a "waterproof" finish, is far from 100% safe from leaks.

I try to put my tank on hard floors, not carpeted floors, because of the flattening effect on the carpet. Then I quickly mop up any minor spills as they happen. Spills haven't been a problem for me. (Of course that jinxes me, and tomorrow I will find 65 gallons of water on my laminate floor!)

#11 ·
If you build a 4'x8' catch basin under the stand, how do you ensure that the catch basin doesn't leak when you finally need it? Glass tanks are almost 100% safe from leaks, but a wood basin, with a liner, or a "waterproof" finish, is far from 100% safe from leaks.
For me, it's mostly to buy some more time and limit the damage of any potential spills, especially catastrophic ones. I only really need it to hold water the ~8-12 hours or so that I'm likely to be out, if I come home/wake up and find the basin full of water, I'm going to immediately siphon it out the window or something. My current 2'x3' one I think is fairly trustworthy, I've got pretty thick PVC liner in it, with the corners folded so there aren't any seams, etc. Not that I'd leave it full of water.

I'm just hoping that if something bad happens, like a tank cracking or a pump leaking or something, that it will limit the damage and buy me a bit of time if I'm away.

Certainly not 100%, but better then 20 gallons just splashing onto the floor...

#10 ·
One of many reasons I chose wall to wall tile throughout when I was doing the renovation work on my new home last year. Honestly, I don't even bother trying not to splash---any excess water that flies around just encourages me to do a more thorough job of mopping the floor later.

If you can't get away from carpet? Wet-vac and a good supply of thick bath towels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.