The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA 90-P faulty. Or...?

18K views 130 replies 36 participants last post by  Matsnork 
#1 ·
I´ve got a bit of a delicate conundrum and would like some input from other ADA aquarium owners.

Would you say that it is within acceptable limits that the side panels on a brand new ADA 90-P are slightly skewed by about 3mm? The sides are not exactly parallell wich results in the corners not being exactly 90-degrees. Because of this the aquarium does not line up perfectly with my cabinet.

Am I just picky or should I expect perfection for the premium price payed for this item?

Picture illustrating the issue. The problem is mirrored on the other side:

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that I of course measured the tank, both diagonally and with a 90-degree ruler (dont know the english word for it).

The tank was really hard to get hold of since there are very few retailers in the Nordic countries and starting up a warranty process with a 40kg item is kind of a bummer... but I will give it a try.

#14 ·
George Costanza !!!!!

How new is the tank? I notice some really bad craftsmanship with my 60-P. The seams are not completely straight or there is excess. No idea what the proper term is called but it's the glue that you can touch on the outside. I run my fingers down and feel it. My Fluval Edge 1st generation did not have this, the 2nd gen 12gallons has this.

The older ADA sticker tanks are perfect, everything is completely flush. My newer sticker ADA tank is not something you would expect for the amount of money.

:(

#9 · (Edited)
Yes but no. Apparently I used an L square. Thank you google :)

In another thread on this forum regarding what techniques the ADA factory use to produce their famous silicone joints, I suggested that a jig might be used. Well now we can rule that out. And apparently an L square was not used either... A little bit bitter perhaps.

#12 ·
I personally would not be happy at all.

I am not sure how it works in Europe, but if you do not get an acceptable resolution from the seller I would contact the credit card issuer, if you paid by a CC.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

#13 ·
I bought the tank through a small dealer who mostly deals with the smaller ada stuff, like glassware, soil etc. They´ve got connections with the German ada stockist and had an arrend down there, so I saw my chance to get hold of an ada aquarium without paying silly freight costs.

Potential scenarios:

#1 They ignore me, or think my claim is silly.

#2 I can get some sort of compensation/retro price reduction but keep the tank.
(I could live with this, the tank is not ruined. A few steps back and it´s not very noticeable)

#3 They replace the item and pay for shipping.
(Not very likely but you never know the service level of folks when they have a few hundred miles and a few boarders to hide behind.)

#15 ·
Are you refering to silicone perhaps?

The tank is brand spanking new. Just found out about this when placing it on a stand for the first time.

My 60-P looks good and fits perfectly on my DIY cabinet.

#16 ·
Yeah, the silicone on the outside. It's not flush, I can feel the extra pieces. Tempted to scratch it off but I don't want to risk anything. It hold water fine and that pretty much what a tank suppose to do.

Is ADA the best tank maker? I'm certainly not impressed.

#17 ·
When I checked pricing with a local glass fabricator who has got the big diamond sanding and cutting machines required to bewel the panes like the ADA does it, the price ended right up there with ADA on a 120-H copy. And then the silicone joints would not look as good. But the sides would probobly be level at least ;)

#18 ·
^ Hahaha, at least you notice the sides before you got started. Imagine having a display tank, getting a high placing at IAPC and then realizing you got a faulty tank.

Let all be honest here, we brought the tank for the ADA sticker at the corner. I know I did.

#22 ·
How close in dimensions are the stand and tank? Are they flush on all sides?
I got 5mm to spare since my cabinet has some leg room for this type of thing.

It´s not a replica. Bought from a German ADA distributor.
About 1,5-2mm half way across the pane. Same on the other side.

#21 ·
His 90-P is really off, judging from the picture it's well beyond a small detail. How does ADA quality control miss something that obvious. Matsnork, can you take a picture of the sticker?

Did your tank come with those plastic strips that goes from the bottom to the top? I remember having to use a heavy duty scissor to cut those. I had to buy mine from a official distributor as they were the only one who carried it here.

#24 ·
I would not be satisfied if my new ADA tank was that far out of square but I put ADA to pretty high standards because of their much higher cost.

My wife's Mr.Aqua 12 long was not quite perfectly square (and has since developed a leak) but it was also half the price of the ADA 12 long at the retailer we were dealing with, for half the price I can deal with a little crookedness.

#26 ·
ADA doesn't have a 12gal long, unfortunately.

Matsnork: You should definitely try getting the tank replaced. The tank appears to be poorly crafted and the silicone work is atrocious for an ADA-branded tank.

I recently had to have an ADA 45-F replaced three times because of poor silicone jobs and scratched glass. Was a real hassle but you should not be settling for anything less than perfect when paying a premium price.

#27 ·
that's strange.. for it to be like that the bottom pane of glass must just not be squared. I would try emailing ada directly with pictures, and c.c the email to the distributor you bought it from, this should get ada's attention.. if no more than letting your distributor know you've made ada aware of the situation.

You might have better luck posting this on ukaps.org and asking for advice, there are a lot of people involved on that forum and closer to you that may help getting you in touch with the right people to get it swapped in Europe.

#28 ·
Do you have two tanks? The first picture has glosso and the second is empty. I have also have the sloppy silicone like your second picture, it's most noticeable at the corner in that picture. The silicone looks like it stops just like yours.

How do you measure the 90 degree corner without a T square? I haven't measure mine.

#29 · (Edited)
Yes, a 60p and a 90p. The silicone joints are much bigger on bigger tanks. Thats why the 60p looks much cleaner. If glued directly together like an acrylic tank they would break.

You can measure the tank diagonally with a tape measure. Then compare the results. If the panes tilt outwards and you measure up top i guess its a bit pointless though.

Edit:

I want this tool :)

#36 ·
What was your result when you measure it diagonally? How off was it?
Approx 104mm vs 107mm. But thats taken upside via the rim. I havent measured the bottom since the tank is so darn heavy. Need a friend to come over. I really don´t care about a few millimeters here and there as long as it doesnt affect the "squareness"/strength or is otherwise visually obvious.

If you got time, can you take some photos of the 90-P's sticker. Are those air bubbles in the sticker? There seem to be some air trapped under it, while the 60-P is all clear.
They are both bubbly, just doesnt show on the 60-P with the soil background.

I emailed AFA about the problem but they told me they were not going to give me a replacement, full refund or even a partial store credit. Their reason was and I quote:
"As for the fish tank, ADA aquariums goes through strict quality control, all the ADA tanks we sell passed the strict quality control for quality assurance. There is a small allowance for the panels, therefore, even if it is not perfectly flush, it will not interfere with the strength and safty of the fish tank. We are afraid we are unable to provide you credit for the fish tank." .
Thats sound beyond stupid. Catch 22 much? If they have such superb quality control, why is your tank faulty? Their whole statement contradicts itself. :icon_conf Total bummer.

Sounds more like: -Helping you out is to much of a hustle so we´re gonna bull**** you instead so that the problem goes away.-

Does your supplier order directly from ADA? I am just wondering if people have possibly started counterfeiting these tanks or something.
No idea where ADA Germany gets their stuff from. Pretty shure it´s legit. Everything from packaging labeling to glass hooks information leeflets looks genuine and as I´ve seen on the interwebzzzz.

#32 ·
Maybe some others who actually own ADA tanks can chime in but that just doesn't look right at all. It's not just the fact it isn't square, the silicone does not look right either. Maybe ADA has loosened up their quality control as they have become more popular but that seems like a straight knock off.

Does your supplier order directly from ADA? I am just wondering if people have possibly started counterfeiting these tanks or something. I just haven't seen an ADA tank that looks like that ever. Again, I don't own one myself.

#33 ·
Will not comment on all of the latest post since Im at work (pocket computer) so just a small update.

Got a reply from the retailer. They apologize for the inconvenience and will take it up with the German ADA supplier.

Im very sure my tanks are not fake/copys etc. The finish on the panes is superb. The silicone... not as nice as I've seen on close ups on the interwebz.

#35 ·
Got a reply from the retailer. They apologize for the inconvenience and will take it up with the German ADA supplier.
Good.

Threads like this make me think twice why would I pay a premium price for a Chinese made tanks. I have ADA's tanks and they are indeed nice. But then I also have 2 Mr Aqua tanks and they are not bad other. I am looking for another tank and paying extra $150 for a 30g tank with a nicer label is making less an less sense.

2 years ago the quality was better and other brands were far behind. Nowdays rimless tanks are no longer a novelty: Marinland, Penn Plax, Current-USA, Mr Aqua, TopAqua, Deep Blue, ELIOS, and their brothers are on the bandwagon, with wider choices of footprints, glass clarity, silicon work, etc etc.

Point being: ADA - I might pay a premium price BUT the service, availability, and the perceived value are better be there.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

#37 · (Edited)
So pictures seem high on demand in this thread so I tried to take some closeups on the seams with my camera (phone). Glass is not the best subject in morning gloom light.

This evaded me before; a silicone smudge. Lack of masking tape?

Here (the 3 pics below) you can the weird variations in silicone thickness.

Upper part right front seam.

Lower part right front seam.

Rest looks OK as far as I can tell. A little smudgy at places, but nothing really noticable when filled up with soil and water and perhaps with some algea.

I must say, that apart from the glass panes being beweled, this type of quality silicone/seam work could be done by a local aquarium builder or even a handy hobbyist with some patience and some masking tape.

I´ve got two links for ya:

Older ADA build quality fyi and what I was expecting:
http://www.projectaquarium.com/plantedAquariumReviews_ADACubeGarden.aspx

How to build a (small at least) clean rimless aquarium:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.