The Planted Tank Forum banner

5g Chi. Mud tank (Path way to Buddha photo heavy)

3K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  dtejeda.arias 
#1 · (Edited)
5g Chi
Soil
Rigged LEDs

Plants
Brazilian microswords (courtesy of Dave Allen)

As of tonight I just put together a 5g chi for my gf. She is currently mad at me because I stop working on the tank, and then immediately logged on the forum! :D She has a fascination with Buddhas, and I've always wanted a soil tank. I mixed the two together now I have an awesome idea. My plan is to have the microswords do their thing through the tank. I left a path from one corner of the tank to the other which i plan on making it swerve. My idea is to have Buddha sitting under a tree at the end of the path elevated(on who knows what) about the grass. I some manzanita driftwood on the way, as well as a piece from a tree in front of Home Depot. I plan on wrapping it up with some kind of moss and make it look like it has life. As far as what to use to elevate Buddha I'm still up in the air. Also any ideas on what to use for my path would be great. I was thinking sand color river stones I use for my turtles. As far as plants I want to keep it simple and place just a few throughout the background. For fish I was thinking Otos(my favs), micro crabs(not sure why), shrimps(open to different breeds, but have cherries in mind) a trio of scarlet badis in mind or a small schooling fish or a betta sorority. I would like to keep it one species only when it came to the fishes, but would like some color. Guppies are no gos lol.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
As far as she let me get tonight

Filled just a bit to cover the microswords, and still allow me to place stones and rearrange as I go before topping it off. I also did not cap the soil which should be interesting. I Also plan on getting a culture of blackworms going as well

#10 ·
Well guess I will be draining it down tonight to replant it then refilling it eventually! Top layer is still a bit mushy. Water seemed to have cleared up pretty well. Just difficult to plant anything. I'm guessing the cap is what causes the dirt to compact and be more manageable. I'm staying rebellious. BTW... Gf never had a fish tank and I never had a mud tank. What a mix lol!!! Not sure she knows what a mud tank is but it's funny seeing her look at it as if it was something weird.

#12 · (Edited)
Soil being used

Contains Vital Earth's® Organic Compost OMRI
Mega Worm® earthworm castings promotes enhanced germination, root growth, plant-growth, crop yield & water-holding capacity in soils.
Contains mycorrhizal fungi and Vital Earth's® Powdered Glacial Rock.
Contains guano, peat moss, and pumice.

I found it funny to see a warning label on the bag which they dont mention on here. Keep away from children and pets. Please use gloves and a air mask. Please wash hands immediately after using.

It's dirt people not battery acid lol!!!

#17 · (Edited)
My phone pics are lazy and like to be laying down...

My back glass is frosted. Just went out today and got a potted plant, and talked my way to some free hornwort from petco. Also 3 black Molly fry. Will most likely RAOK them once I get my actually fish stock ready. Hoping if all goes I can have it at least planted after the convention.

So far water is clear and dirt has settled. I have green water which I am super excited for cause I haven't used any ferts. Can't wait to get it planted and watch the plants bathe in joy! Along with an oto or two :)

#18 · (Edited)
So last night I was at petco. Got a melon sword, free hornwort, and 4 free Molly fry. Get to my gf place and I dumped everything in the tank and she asked me "what are those?" I said baby black mollys. She then goes on about how she never owned a fish and was super excited... That left me scratching my head considering there has been a 5.5g fish tank with dirt sitting on her night stand for a week. Not sure what she thinking the tank was for. Anyways I was awaken at 730am by this comment! I got a theme for the tank. "Charlie's angels" or the power puff girls. Consider I told her there was 3f 1m the night prior. So much for my Buddha scape thoughts and killi fish...

#19 · (Edited)
Finished up!

Fauna
Scarlet badis (LFS)
Hara jerdoni (Franks aquarium)
Boraras brigittae (Franks aquarium)
Black Molly fry (LFS... Hate em:)!)

Flora
Crypt wendtii "red"
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (Dave Allen)
Frogbit
Elocharis acicularis (Gordon Richards)
Cannot remember the name of the stems! If you know them yell them out!

Substrate
High organic potting soil
Blackworm colony

Filter
Fluval chi stock
Aqueon quiet flow internal filter

Lighting
LED
2 Cree Cool Whites
2 Cree Royal Blue

I am thinking of putting an air bubbler, and rigging some CO2 to flow through the same line. Not worried about losing CO2. I just want to give the plants a bit more of a boost.

Will be fertilizing with oscomote root tabs filled with 1ml maybe 2ml of floranova grow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.