The Planted Tank Forum banner

Difficulty of CRS grades

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  pmcarbrey 
#1 ·
I know that CRS are very specific when it comes to water parameters, and that the higher the grade the more sensitive they are. How much more difficult are SSS grade versus S grade? What kind of extra care is involved?

#2 ·
I wouldn't say S grade is that "much" harder than SSS grade, as long as you have stable parameters, your fine. By extra care, RO water helps a lot, but it's not "required", all CRS would do better with RO/ ideal parameters.

#4 ·
The two previous posters really touched on a big issue. Clean tank, stable parameters.

A well known breeder here says there is no difference between the average S-SSS grade shrimp. Most S grades can spit out SSS and anything inbetween.

There is a difference between PRL lines and the average line, however.

#6 · (Edited)
Grade doesn't make a difference in 90% of the bee shrimps, the difference comes from the strain. Some strains are harder to breed especially the high quality pure line because they way the breeders use for selected breeding.

Selected breeding: Most people put all the breeding shrimps in a tank, and cull the ones they don't like and keep the tank going (let's call it method A). Some top Asian breeders do it differently. They take the best from the F1 and put them in a different tank to breed them, then again in F2 (let's call it method B). They don't back cross unless there's issue in the Fn, because doing so is stepping backward. You may think the result should be the same but it's not. Method B gets the blood pure for the characteristics intended (leg coverage, white thickness, ... etc), and Fn is always better than F(n-1) genetically speaking. But method B not only requires more tanks, also is slower, and the resulting shrimps breed much slower, but you are sure the shrimps are going toward your goal. These shrimps would be harder to keep/breed, grow slower, no matter the "grades".

And because these breeders don't want others to get, say, the culls in F4 or F5 from method B and get a short cut, they mix them with offspring from method A so their result can't be "stolen".

PS: shrimps from method B normally cost more than $x00 each, so don't worry too much you'd get them by accident ;-)

#7 ·
I used to do drip acclimations for everything, when moving some shrimps to different tanks, water changes, some times these drip acclimations took 4 hrs or more.

Now if I move a shrimp, even from amazonia to eco complete or vice versa, I just net them and dump them in.

And they all do just fine. I've stopped babying them.

#12 ·
Honestly I have to agree on stable paramaters being key.
I have CRS/CBS/Yellow/PFR/Red Rilli/pumpkins i almost swear the CRS/CBS are one of the hardier one. in shipping an keeping i have not lost any of them and had at least one of the others bite the dust in one way or another

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.