The Planted Tank Forum banner

How much bio media are you running in your canisters?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  VAtanks 
#1 ·
I just set up a couple canister filters (eheim & fluval) according to directions.

Now I'm thinking about the noodles, would I want to go lighter on those or not?

Thanks.

#4 ·
^
You will get all sorts of opinions on this, but I concur with the above.

If real estate within the filter is limited then either Seachem Matrix, Eheim Substrat Pro or Lava Rock since they all have significantly more surface area for bio growth. A little goes a long way.

from my iP 5 via Tapa.

#3 ·
My understanding of the idea behind noodles was to create chaotic water movement to defeat singular flow from an intake. Better performance from the first course foam filter because of a more generalized flow at it's surface. It's suck it and see. If you remove too much large gunk may deposit in the first foam and in one place {initially}. I think Eheim had an article on why noodles are used and I think that was the gist off it. But, this is a question of fluid dynamics. Not my specialty.

I don't suppose you can have too much bacterial matrix. High density housing if too little, low density if you have plenty. Again I would hit the manufacturers sites for their take on why their filter is best.

Bear in mind in the 'olden' days we didn't have access to noodles n matrix n stuff. But our fish still lived.
cheers

#5 ·
I'm coming from the world of fish only tanks. Where more bio media is best.

The reason I was asking had to do with maybe making the plants process a little bit of the bio load and take what they want before the nitrifying bacterias make a meal of it and leave nothing but nitrates.

What is the competition in the tank? Know what I mean, I can't articulate my thought to well. It's been a long week!

I have them filled per manufacturers directions, but then was just wondering maybe less would be more with a heavy plant load.

Thanks.

#6 ·
Hello Elyssa,

I raised comets in fish only tanks for some years so I can relate....

I typically run more than is necessary (more filtration, more media and more flow). Old habits I guess.

A heavy, thriving plant mass will definitely help. But the only real way to know how the system is balanced is to monitor and measure.

peace,

#7 ·
All these replies and nobody understands what you're asking. Everybody, this person is asking about the fluval pre-filter media, a solid cermamic noodle with no pores for bacteria growth. I dont use any prefilter noodles. I insterted more sponge and bio-max into the baskets instead.

#9 ·
I use pre-filter then i pack the rest with bio-media, mostly matrix but i have use fluvals biomax can't tell the difference in water quality, then a fine filter pad at the waters cleanest point in the canister. basically i cram as much bio media as i can between to filter pads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.