The Planted Tank Forum banner

callisto9's 20G high planted tank - low tech

14K views 114 replies 16 participants last post by  bluestems 
#1 ·
Well, after my 6.6G Petco, I quickly wanted to get a bigger tank. We have a super small house, so space is at a premium. I finally found about two feet of space and got a tank and stand that fit perfectly.

This is the tank as of last week:

Tank size: 20G high

Plants: anubias, java fern, amazon sword, crypts (melted, but are coming back), hornwort, brazilian pennywort, anachris (a lot melted), water wisteria, vals

Lighting: One 15W 8000K full spectrum florescent light

Ferts: just some root tabs

Fish and snails: three mystery snails, many ramshorns, seven glowlight tetras. Two guppies will be moved over pretty soon.

It's been a frustrating road, but I think things are finally starting to turn around.

I just got some awesome plants today, too, and will be planting them this weekend.

Thoughts and opinions welcome!

See less See more
#10 ·
Thanks! I like the rocks, too. I made sure they'd be OK for the tank by doing the vinegar test.

Still don't know why manzanita is so expensive... if I find a tree around here somewhere... manzanita for all!

did you get the new plants in?
I did! They're in there, but hard to see. A few have been uprooted since last night. I have leftovers, too, so yay! Thanks again.

I like the river rocks!
I do, too. I think all the colors adds a nice touch to the aquarium.

Are you from Iowa? Just looked - Dubuque. I am from the Quad Cities. I am!

#15 ·
Did a 3 gallon water change tonight. All inhabitants are doing well. I keep expecting fish deaths, but so far, so good. I had such a horrible start to this whole thing that each time I wake up each morning, I am so stoked everything is still living!

Some pics from tonight:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmoss ball!

Free ride:

Yummy spirulina pellets from member acitydweller:

And finally, a full tank shot:

#27 · (Edited)
Love it!!
I think the ludwiga and vals would fare better dosing with Brightwell aquatics FlorinFE and FlorinAxis. Cheapest at LNT.com, which has no shipping charges.

The FlorinAxis may help with the algae. For it is a Co2 replacement. It is not as good as Seachem Excel but will not affect the Vals, which are sensitive to Excel.

What color is the algae? Brown algae is normal for the beginning of a tank.

#18 · (Edited)
:icon_redf I just saw you have a journal for your new 20g... it's looking so good! Those plants are really going to fill in nicely. :smile:

The gobys are pretty. Do you know if you have a male & female pair?

ps- at this rate of tank expansions, you'll be setting up a 75g by next summer. ;) which, btw had cost me about the same as this little nano has!

#20 ·
Thanks! I DO have a male/female pair with the peacock gudgeons.

Anyone know why fish have so many names for the same fish? They are called peacock gudgeons, peacock gobys, rainbow gudgeons, eyespot sleeper goby...

Trust me, I have NO ROOM for a larger tank. I really had to do some creative moving around to get this one and it's in my bedroom.

This tank has cost me a fortune. In fact, since I started the hobby only two months ago, I would guess I've spent somewhere in the range of $600. :icon_eek:

#21 ·
I found a great source for Manzanita... Blooms and Branches. (Google it... I'm at the airport right now). I bought a large, nice selection for $50. I have tons left after scaping my new 75g. I'm sure it's cheaper to buy larger quantities (because of the shipping) but they sell by the piece, or maybe you could order some with a group of people.

#31 ·
Your aquarium really looks nice. I've got some algae now too, it could have sprung up when I was doing a bunch of water changes trying to keep my Gourami alive. It isn't spreading really, I'm keeping an eye on it before I do anything. The snails are getting bigger now though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.