The Planted Tank Forum banner

Gasturbation

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Capt. 
#1 ·
I couldn't get some one else to please me with a reactor so I have had to DIY... I hope I don't go blind <ggg>

After reading that others with Rena Filstar XP-3 filters were having the same problem - namely CO2 gas accumulation at the top of the filter w/o full reaction, I decided to tackle the problem of getting or making a reactor.

There are a few commercial reactors available, and several good ideas for DIY. Of course, just because it's DIY, doesn't mean that the parts are {easily or otherwise} available. So I went on an expedition to the Home Despot. I wanted the ease, availability and the cheap cost of PVC, while at the same time wanting to be able to see into the reaction chamber. Clear PVC was an option, but not locally available, and I like to ~touch~ things before I buy.

My solution came about with finding the following parts: 1.5" ID Vinyl hose, 2x 1" PVC conversion elbow, and 2x .75" barb converters. Total cost under $9. The barb fittings are wrapped in teflon tape, and screwed into to elbow. The outside of the elbow has raised lettering, which I filed smooth with emory paper. The end of the vinyl hose is inserted into boiling water for ~ 1 min to soften it, and then the elbow is inserted into the end. The fit is snug, but clamps can be applied to synch the vinyl down on the PVC if desired. A small hole is made in the side of the tube to allow the input of the CO2, and the tube is filled with some Bio-balls or cheap dish scour- scrunchies.

If I can borrow a digital camera, I will send photos. What is the recommended size for photos included here?

See less See more
#3 ·
Now that I have the reactor running, there is significantly less gas trapping at the top of the Rena, but not totally zero.

I have a few photos of my reactor, but cannot figure out how to attach them to this post. It may not look as nice as some of the others, but it is probably the least expensive of this type fwiw. I believe it works just as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.